Premed 101 Forums

Full course Load requirements

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever been in the same position as me, and if they can give me advice. This year I took the full course load requirements (5 half-courses) during the first semester, but got royally screwed by a new proff who didn't follow the guidelines. His course was deemed invalid, and I neither received a credit for it, nor a grade. It does however show up on my transcript as having spent the semester taking the course. My only option is to re-take it next year with the old professor (this guy filled in for one year).

Now (second semster) I'm taking 6 half-courses to ensure I have 10 full grades show up (although technically I have over-loaded).

I read somewhere that Western wants applicants to take 5 half-courses/ semester to ensure they are all under the same strain (ie. taking only 4 would make it easier to get good grades). So, I have taken 5 last sem, and 6 this sem, and will attain over 3.70 GPA this year. Does anyone know if I got a letter from my University Registrar (head honcho) if Western would accept this situtuation. Really, I think I got screwed pretty badly if they dont.

Hope someone out there had a similar problem and knows how it works...

I read somewhere that Western wants applicants to take 5 half-courses/ semester to ensure they are all under the same strain (ie. taking only 4 would make it easier to get good grades). So, I have taken 5 last sem, and 6 this sem, and will attain over 3.70 GPA this year. Does anyone know if I got a letter from my University Registrar (head honcho) if Western would accept this situtuation. Really, I think I got screwed pretty badly if they dont.

Hope someone out there had a similar problem and knows how it works...

You read wrong. Doesn't matter if you take 3 courses one semester and 7 the next. Western only cares that you have a full course load (10 credits) for the whole year. I had to drop a course first semester and pick up an extra course for this second semester and they said that was perfectly fine. So technically I have a 4/6 course split.

You read wrong. Doesn't matter if you take 3 courses one semester and 7 the next. Western only cares that you have a full course load (10 credits) for the whole year. I had to drop a course first semester and pick up an extra course for this second semester and they said that was perfectly fine. So technically I have a 4/6 course split.

Oh my God Rocky! I love you! (sorry, over-joyed). If what your saying is true (assuming it is, you've been in my shoes), I am VERY VERY HAPPY and there is hope. I thought my only hope was to curse that proff who screwed me till he croaked (hope I don't get kicked off for saying that). I was upset, but now there is new hope.......

I would agree with rocky... I've not heard any mention of semesters needing to be balance just that the course load is full...

2nd, even if it were that way, I imagine if you were to call Darla MacNeil up to explain your circumstances you would get at least some consideration.

Yeah I called in November as I was about to drop the course and then I emailed earlier this year to make sure I had it in writing. They don't care how the courses are distributed in the two semesters, just that it adds up to a full course load when looking at the entire academic year (8 months).

My interview is in April :)

Good luck Rocky!

A good friend of mine is in 3rd year there (and apparently when he went it he said he had to have the 5 full semester thing, so thats why I wasn't sure). He's also doing interviews. I wish I could hook up your interview! JUST JOKING. But anyways, I do wish you all the best ~~~ sends out some brain waves for your acceptance~~

Archived