Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa Stream WGPA?

Does anyone know of any Ottawa-stream applicants who were accepted, or interviewed with low wgpa's (ie - between 3.6-3.8?) I know the website mentions that these students have a lower wgpa cutoff, but I'm curious to know if Ottawa applicants are actually at an advantage based on personal stories. Thx.

I would think atleast a 3.8 would be a pretty solid g.p.a to get in with if you had a solid sketch. It's tough to say what actually happens... I'm more or less inclined to think that they actually weigh the g.p.a and sketch 50:50 before giving out an interview as this is what it sort of hinted at on the french rejection letters but not the english. From the people I know personally, if we are talking about english, the lowest I know was a 3.85 from ottawa and that is the in-province cut-off. That being said, for the english stream the vice dean admissions had stated that the average g.p.a of those invited this year was a 3.93 ... so yes I realized I still haven't answered your question but I know atleast 6 people from ottawa with a g.p.a in the 3.7-3.81 that were not granted an interview this year but I am sure that there are a number of people in that range who were given an interview!

I would argue that was a miscommunication - I heard that 3.93 was the average registrant for this year's class - but you need to consider that the high gpas help people get in off the waitlist - so it is natural for the registrant gpa to be 3.93. I think that is too high especially if you consider grad pool applicants who are b/w 3.5 and 3.6 and the fact that grad school counts for so much on the sketch - I'd say the average is about a 3.85 in that area - with most b/w 3.8 and 3.9...

Judging by these huge numbers - what are people's back-ups? Anyone planning to do a year of teacher's college for example, or a masters? Any one put down deposits for such schools as they wait to hear from med schools?

Archived