Premed 101 Forums

Questions about Toronto's Dental School

I have some questions about UT's dental school for students currently studying there.

1. How many hours of class/clinical activity do you have every day in each year. (I tried to look this up on UT's website but they only tell you which courses are offered during each year. No mention of any hands-on procedures!) If you guys could post your schedules, it would be great.

2. I heard Toronto's dental school is better than Western's because of its rapport for academia. But going into dental school, most people don't know whether they want to specialize, teach, or go for general dental practice. Given this, why would you choose Toronto's dental school over Western's?

3. What sort of clinical facilities/equipment are available to students? How do these compare to Western's?

4. What are the advantages of discipline-centered clinical work as compared to patient centered work?

5. When do dental students start working in simulation clinics? When do they stop working in simulation clinics and start seeing real patients?

6. A one-year dental residency program is mentioned on UT's website. Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that you can start general dental practice right after you clear the licensing exam (i.e. your DDS degree). What is this "residency" for then? Is it not correct that you only do residency if you want to specialize?

Question 6. General practice residency is optional, yes once you graduated from a recognized Dental school in North America and passed the NDEB exam. You can start working as a dentist. GPR is mainly for those who wish to pursue specialization program in Canada, because most Canadian speciality programs require you to have some sort of private practice experience or GPR.

________

Bong Reviews

Rick,

Do you know why the tour is never mentioned in the Invite Letter sent to candidates?

[begin quote]

"Please arrive at the 124 Edward Street Entrance ten minutes prior to the time of your interview and bring one piece of photo identification. Staff will be present in the Lobby to let you into the building and will direct you to the waiting area. Two members of the Faculty of Dentistry will interview you and the interview will take approximately 20 to 30 minutes."

[end quote]

I had expected one, but after reading the letter I thought otherwise as the word "tour" never appears in any place.

Thank you Anna Molly and Rick.

What time do tours usually start, Rick? My interview ends at 3:30. I just think it's strange that tours are led in late afternoon. I thought they would be done in the morning. Anyway, no problems and thank you both for sharing.

Archived