Premed 101 Forums

Australian Medical Schools Accepting HS Students

Guest Spencer

Guest Spencer

Just being curious, for all you Aussie med students and/or pre-med students or any knowledgeable Canadian students who've been through the Australian application process...Which Universities or should I say Schools of Medicine in Australia accept Canadian Gr.12 High School Students into their international applicant pool for their MBBS programs? As far as I know, University of Tasmania and University of Melbourne do, but I don't know about the rest...thx!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest redshifteffect

Hey I'm a highschool student, though I did OAC cause I'm in Ontario.

I'm in Uni of Tas right now and I'm absolutely enjoying it.

Word of advice though, I was pretty dumb in the sense that I found out a lot more stuff after I'd come that I regretted not looking into. First of all if you do a college diploma (say 1 - 2 years) esp in computers than you have a very high chance of getting an aussie permenant residence (equivalent to citizenship except without voting rights)....anyway point is simple you get cheaper tutition fees and the govt will pay them for you...you can also get youth allowance.

Might be worth your while to get immigration before you start your study...? You never know where you will want to stay...after all Australia is now ranked higher than Canada by the UN.

email me @ redshifteffect@yahoo.ca for any more info

• 3 weeks later...
Guest redshifteffect

I think Adelaide does, and I know for a fact that Monash (in Melbourne) does. Monash is a 5 year degree. Tas will also be a 5 year degree in a few years. I think WA does too. (Perth). Also Uni of NSW in sydney and Bond in the Gold Coast will be offering one soon.

Word of advice: You are much better going to a med school in a rural area if you plan on staying here. You will have a much easier time getting your PR. This also means that you can do a specialty training program here as a local which means you will not be discriminated against as you would be in North America.

Guest kellyl20

as a HS student going into the med program, what is the tuition like at TAS? What is the cost of staying at residence if there is such a thing? Is it 5 or 6 years? Can a HS apply for PR before going to Australia? and if so when is the best time to do this.

Thanks REDSHIFTEFFECT.

Guest redshifteffect

Kelly I would be happy to answer your questions...

Email me personally for the HECS/PR info. I don't think people really care about that too much. redshifteffect@yahoo.ca

As for cost of living: You can expect to pay upto 10 000 for living in a "college" which is the aussie equivalent to a residence. However I'm getting along comfortably with 7000 including rent/food etc in a private house. The college is quite expensive but it's all inclusive it includes meals and everything. There will be a new college built by next year which is self catering therefore you can cook your own meals or buy them from the college. The rent will be about $120 per week. I'm currently paying $65 per week at my place.

Tuition is 22 000 Aussie dollars per yer, however this increases to 27000 for the last three years. You are eligible for OSAP/CSL. As of now Tas is a 6 year program, but it will soon become a 5 year program. If you look up the good school guide for australia you will see that tas is ranked among the top medical schools here. Finally you are more likely to get a PR AFTER graduation if you do not have a degree in a big city ie melbourne or sydney.

Archived