Premed 101 Forums

Three years of undergrad?

you're posting a lot of questions that are searchable ... i'ld suggest using the search function and spending a few hours reading before asking so many.

to answer this question, depends on the school, some don't differentiate between 3rd years and 4th years, some do, some don't even let 3rd years apply.

Well, my dad did it... 34 years ago.

(He doesn't even remember having to interview!)

I do have an old friend who got in to UofT after only his third year of undergrad. He's something of an unassuming genius type, though, so I don't think that's typical.

I'm in my 3rd year and got interviews at 3 of 4 schools i applied to (Queen's, u of t, and mcmaster), so I don't think it's as fringe of a possibility as you may think (that's not to say that I think I'm necessarily going to get granted admission, but that I'm sure that there are lots of third years out there who will). In my opinion, it's more about if you're ready as opposed to simply have you completed ____ many years. This could be after 3 years of post-secondary schooling for some people, for others it could be never.

I was lucky enough to get in after 3 years so yes it's completely possible - I know of 3rd years in the 2nd and 1st year classes here at Ottawa too (despite our rep of robbing 3rd year applicants of their application fees!). It IS harder though cause like DD87 said, you're a year younger, a year less to gain experiences, a year less of stuff that goes on your sketch, etc etc. BUT, if you feel like you're competetive - then you should definitely apply, if you don't get in - at least you've gone through the cycle once and you'll be a pro come 4th year applications.

If you think you have a shot at an interview, I would definitely recommend it. I applied and got in after 3, but had I not gotten in, the interview experience alone would have been worth it since it will significantly benefit you in 4th year.

[Just as an aside, UWO no longer lets people in after 3 years, I was in the last class.]

I'm in 3rd year and interviewing at Queen's... I hope I get in! Even if I don't, the interview will be good prep and going through the application once is good too, at least I have a few essays written and it will just help me for next year.

What kind of stats do you have? Just curious :) ?

Are you making fun of my terrible math ability? Has anybody else composed to you such beautiful poetry??? :D Math doesn't matter when you're a poet at heart. hahaha

the wind whips law's face as he spins around, the dark silent forest surrounding him..he is trapped, staring into the past...SNAP! he leaps up, instantly awake, his knees bent, fingers curled, his whole body tense and ready for flight...he flinches as the wind howls through the trees...the trees..so old, so dead...he closes his eyes, his emotions overflowing...he is the one, the special one...there's another sound, a light is flying towards him...so pretty, so golden, so deadly...pure shining light surrounds him...it's jochi. :eek::D:P

the wind whips law's face as he spins around, the dark silent forest surrounding him..he is trapped, staring into the past...SNAP! he leaps up, instantly awake, his knees bent, fingers curled, his whole body tense and ready for flight...he flinches as the wind howls through the trees...the trees..so old, so dead...he closes his eyes, his emotions overflowing...he is the one, the special one...there's another sound, a light is flying towards him...so pretty, so golden, so deadly...pure shining light surrounds him...it's jochi. :eek::D:P

LOL, ahh we are derailing this thread.

The siren floats blissfully towards her intended prey.

Howling, the wind continues to caress the towering trees.

Paralyzed by awe, he admires his capturer.

Glorious light overtakes his soul, euphoria inhabits his lonely heart.

Stolen away to a selcluded, serene summit, silently he waits.

To conclude: Let more 3rd years into med school! :D

What do you mean by strong extracurricular if I may ask? As for for Q: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: , or something like that (as you can tell, I don't like writing).

Lots of volunteering, a few summers of clinical research, many athletics (a few that I was chosen as captain for), and 2/3 references were from MDs who are highly regarded in their field. So not mind-blowing stats by any means, but fairly decent I guess.

Archived