Premed 101 Forums

Grad vs. Undergrad gpa

Sorry for the second post in a row, but I have one more question.

My undergrad wgpa is 3.75, but my grad gpa is 4.0.

Since I am an ottawa resident, I make the cutoff for undergrads and so may be considered in this pool. However, do undergrads with that low of a gpa even get an interview? If not, will I then be considered in the grad pool?

Thanks

Here's how I understand it (more info in previous threads) :

If you apply as a grad student and meet all the requirements to do so, they will first look at you as an undergrad. If you meet the cutoffs, they move on to the next step and your grad studies aren't considered. If you don't meet the cutoffs, then you will be considered as a grad student to see if it helps. Basically, it can't hurt you.

(& yes, I think people from Ottawa with 3.75 undergrad gpa can get an interview offer. It depends on the yr & other factors, & I'm no expert at this though...)

I believe the ottawa region cutoff this year was 3.65, so yes, your 3.75 would meet the cutoff for an interview. As far as I know, GPA is used only as a cutoff, hence, if you meet the cutoff, they move on to assessing your sketch, no matter how much or how little you made the cutoff by.

I believe the protocol for grad applicants is that they are first processed on the basis of their undergrad marks, and if they don't win an interview that way, the grad admission committee then takes a look at things like your grad marks and research productivity. This way, you get a 'second chance' to win an interview. However, beyond the interview, everyone is treated the same.

from my understanding... if you meet the undergrad gpa cutoff, then your ABS is assessed. However, if you fail beyond that, your grad gpa, ABS is not considered.

I know previously if you weren't granted an interview as an undergrad candidate, they gave you a second chance as a grad student. The case now is that if you are an undergraduate with a unsatisfactory ABS, they figure that even as a grad student, it will be unsatisfactory.

In other words, your grad grades only come in handy if your undergrad gpa didn't meet the cutoff. '

from my understanding... if you meet the undergrad gpa cutoff, then your ABS is assessed. However, if you fail beyond that, your grad gpa, ABS is not considered.

I know previously if you weren't granted an interview as an undergrad candidate, they gave you a second chance as a grad student. The case now is that if you are an undergraduate with a unsatisfactory ABS, they figure that even as a grad student, it will be unsatisfactory.

In other words, your grad grades only come in handy if your undergrad gpa didn't meet the cutoff. '

I second that.

But to me it really doesn't make sense because let's say, for a grad student who does not meet the undergrad GPA, he will then be assessed within the 'grad pool'. However, this does not necessarily mean his ABS is competitive within the undergrad pool right?

Then what is the point of a graduate pool if grad students who meets the undergrad GPA can't be evaluated among other grad students.

I second that.

But to me it really doesn't make sense because let's say, for a grad student who does not meet the undergrad GPA, he will then be assessed within the 'grad pool'. However, this does not necessarily mean his ABS is competitive within the undergrad pool right?

Then what is the point of a graduate pool if grad students who meets the undergrad GPA can't be evaluated among other grad students.

I see what you mean, but if a grad student's ABS isn't competitive in the undergrad pool, what are the chances it's competitive in the grad pool?

Grad students have more time to build on their ABS, so I'd think that most grad student's ABS would be competitive in the undergrad pool. I've certainly managed to get an interview through the undergrad stream although I'm nearly done an M.Sc. ;)

Archived