Premed 101 Forums

Queens bursary app

I asked the office these two questions, but got no answer. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas:

1. Re: Section 6 - work study consideration

Would the earnings be counted as a part of the bursary or are they separate?

2. Re: Section 8 - release of information

In what ways the information would be used by the donors? If I do not wish to release my information, would that have any impact on my application?

Sorry I don't have answers to those questions, but I just wanted to comment that I really like Queen's form because they consider you separately from your parents for most people. This is the way it should be done. Why should our parents have to carry out debts? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Sorry I don't have answers to those questions, but I just wanted to comment that I really like Queen's form because they consider you separately from your parents for most people. This is the way it should be done. Why should our parents have to carry out debts? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Very true! Plus, I know my parents are not putting money towards my education. Not that they are mean, but they can not really afford it and if they did help I know it would cost them in their way of living. I think it is unfortunate that OSAP is set up that you have to be five years out of high school...oh well I guess if I get in this year I can apply for OSAP next.

I asked the office these two questions, but got no answer. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas:

1. Re: Section 6 - work study consideration

Would the earnings be counted as a part of the bursary or are they separate?

2. Re: Section 8 - release of information

In what ways the information would be used by the donors? If I do not wish to release my information, would that have any impact on my application?

Yeah, section 8 I find a bit curious... how would they use our info? I'm a bit reluctant to release my info to them...

yo what do u mean man?? for med school in canada we gotta get our parents to cosign for it or sumthin??? that would be a BIG prob for me...

Do most students receive bursaries? I currently work full time, but will have to take out loans to pay for part of my tuition, living expenses, etc. I also have some RRSPs (more than $2000/year since high school) and a pension (but I have no access to that money). Does anyone have any thoughts on how people with a current salary are assessed?

Thanks!

Elaine

• 1 month later...
I got my bursary results with my acceptance...and I think they said they would try to make every effort to get that info to you along with the acceptance as long as you handed in the bursary application by the deadline.

Was that with your e-mailed offer or your package in the mail? I haven't gotten the mailed package, but didn't see anything with my e-mail.

Thanks for your help!

Elaine

Thank you both for your responses. I called the Admissions Office today, and found out that I have not been given a bursary. (I probably have too many RRSPs, since I've been working full time for nine years.) LOC, here I come!

Elaine

Thank you both for your responses. I called the Admissions Office today, and found out that I have not been given a bursary. (I probably have too many RRSPs, since I've been working full time for nine years.) LOC, here I come!

Elaine

Another question - are there any other bursaries we can still apply for? Or, has all the money for 2008-09 already been given out? I wasn't actually expecting any money for this year; however, given that Western gave me $2100, perhaps I'm closer to being eligible than I think. (I will be going in debt for my degree.)

Thanks for the information!

Elaine

Another question - are there any other bursaries we can still apply for? Or, has all the money for 2008-09 already been given out? I wasn't actually expecting any money for this year; however, given that Western gave me $2100, perhaps I'm closer to being eligible than I think. (I will be going in debt for my degree.)

Thanks for the information!

Elaine

There is a "Queen's General Bursary" for which the application comes out around late August/early September (it will be in the monthly Registrar's newsletter), due October 31. I've heard that medical students usually get a pretty penny, especially if they didn't get an entrance bursary, so you might very well be in luck! I would definitely recommend applying.

I worked the year before matriculation, and I received nothing from Queen's and a token amount ($2800) from student loans. First year will likely suck, Elaine, but in second year, when you apply as a truly poor student, things will be better.

Archived