Premed 101 Forums

Anyone felt like they had an abysmal interview but got in?

Just wanted to see the other side - not just those that felt good but got rejected.

Felt like I had a bad interview despite the compliments which are likely a facade at a school that is supposed to be relaxed and conversational.

Is it often that your impressions aren't a good predictor even the other way around?

Doesn't it depend on the individual? Some people are just naturally very confident and like to think glass-half full and others like to be more "conservative" and always think the worst and be pleasantly surprised or not too shockingly disappointed.

And your expectations...some people will not accept anything less than perfect =P (yes we all know about those crazy-smart people who are like 81%, I failed! ~ true story, and I can imagine he/she would react the same to a less than perfect interview lol).

And another thing, the final outcome highly dictates how you eventually view the interview too. If one ends up not getting in or waitlisted, then you're bound to go "Horrible interview, I knew it" whereas if you do get in, you'll likely to be more optimistic than initially walking outta that room and think, "Hmm, it wasn't the best in my opinion, but I must've said SOMETHING good in there to get accepted."

Just wanted to see the other side - not just those that felt good but got rejected.

Felt like I had a bad interview despite the compliments which are likely a facade at a school that is supposed to be relaxed and conversational.

Is it often that your impressions aren't a good predictor even the other way around?

I think you're being to critical.... the compliments are probably a good sign.

I think you're being to critical.... the compliments are probably a good sign.

I Agree. I think if you come out feeling good about it, then I would assume that you were confident in yourself going into the interview and that you answered the questions to the best of your ability. Thats really all you can ask for in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

I know that I answered some of the questions really well, particularly questions that other people didn't answer so well. However, there was at least one instance when I was asked a question and couldn't come up with a satisfactory answer and was like :confused: and they had to ask me the question again. They also asked me a definition question that I sort of tricked them into answering for me. It was definitely one of those interviews where even weeks later, I would be like, DOH! because I would think of a better answer to a question that I thought that I answered moderately well. However, I must have done something right because I got in on Admissions Day.

After the MMI's I felt that I had 2-3 good stations and rest ranged from satisfactory to not so good. I think I was probably over analyzing stuff after the interview and was not so happy with my performance, particularly because I had to do good in my interviews to compensate for the low academic score (compared to average invited for interview). I was accepted and my biggest advice would be to be honest and succinct in your answers while bringing out your personality.

:cool: YEAH!! My interview was dismal to say the least but whateves I thank God that I got in all the time. I sometimes wonder what the weighting formula is post interview for Queens because something helped me out and it sure wasnt the interview. Meh....I figure if they are "mean" to you or ask you difficult follow up questions its becuase they REALLY want to get to know you as a person or think that what you are saying is worth understanding...

I think my interview was pretty bad at UofT. It was also crazy short... My interviewers were very nice and the interview was very conversation like. Yet, the way they responded to some of my statements made me later doubt the impression I was making...

Then to make it worse I also forgot to give my pre-interview mug shot photo to my interviewers. They had to track me down outside and ask for my photo. I thought I was toasted for sure...

Nevertheless, things worked out! I am very grateful to my interviewers for tracking me down as I am pretty sure I would have been disqualified if they didn't get that photo. Whew...

I really don't think ones own perception of the interview can determine the likely outcome.

This year was the first year The University of Manitoba fully employed the MMI to assess the Personal Assessment Score of the applicants. I had no experience with such a format other than a practice MMI given by current Med1's (most of whom didn't have experience with the MMI either). After completing the MMI, I felt that my performance was alright, but not spectacular. I walked out feeling I could have done better on the majority of the stations. As it turns out, I must have done well because I was offered first round acceptance while people with higher MCAT's are still waiting for letters. Last year I thought I rocked the traditional interview but ended up scoring quite poorly. I guess you never really know.

• 5 weeks later...

When I got home from my interview I thought I had bombed it for sure. The interviewers were tough on me, I was asked questions that no one else was asked in a standardized interview (about 4 pretty hard ones!) and the med student was giving me the cut eye the entire time. Alas - it all turned out alright and I got in on acceptance day!

You have to also remember that once you actually get an interview, the chances of getting into that particular school differ, so keep that in mind. For example I think at UofT you have about a 50% chance once you get an interview, whereas Western is 33%, and so on. Also take into account the different weightings the schools put on interview, GPA, MCAT, etc in determining your final "rank". A bad interview may not be the end of the world!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest usask_woopwoop

i felt that 3 stations could have gone MUCH better. one was a "scenario" thing, and it was my first station and i didn't have a fbombing clue what to do. two others i just found really really hard. i kicked ass on a couple i think. but then i scored in the top decile, so really, you never know!!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
They also asked me a definition question that I sort of tricked them into answering for me.

Are you able to tell us what that definition question was? I'm mostly just curious about what kind of definition would be asked during an interview, as I've never heard of one before. :o

Are you able to tell us what that definition question was? I'm mostly just curious about what kind of definition would be asked during an interview, as I've never heard of one before. :o

Well I signed a confidentiality agreement, but it was actually something very common-sense that you probably know pertaining to family practice and the way it's integrated with other healthcare professions. I used the excuse that I was from out of town. :D

From a town that doesn't believe in family medicine? :D

I recently stumbled upon an old page from the UWO med class of '01. On it, they listed some sample questions for incoming interviewees based on the questions they were asked. Many of them were along the lines of "A recent event in the maritime provinces has affected the health community. What was the event, and do you think the response was correct?" ... I just about crapped myself. I'm reasonably informed and up-to-date, but if those are the questions I'll be asked, I should just save myself from the drive into London. :eek:

From a town that doesn't believe in family medicine? :D

I recently stumbled upon an old page from the UWO med class of '01. On it, they listed some sample questions for incoming interviewees based on the questions they were asked. Many of them were along the lines of "A recent event in the maritime provinces has affected the health community. What was the event, and do you think the response was correct?" ... I just about crapped myself. I'm reasonably informed and up-to-date, but if those are the questions I'll be asked, I should just save myself from the drive into London. :eek:

Well, maybe if you were interviewing back in 1997, you wouldn't think twice about an answer. I guess it's kind of like them asking "What recent health event has severely affected the processed meat industry," where the obvious answer for anyone who have even walked past a TV or a working radio in the last year would be the listeriosis outbreak. But 3 years from now, people will be clueless.

Well, maybe if you were interviewing back in 1997, you wouldn't think twice about an answer. I guess it's kind of like them asking "What recent health event has severely affected the processed meat industry," where the obvious answer for anyone who have even walked past a TV or a working radio in the last year would be the listeriosis outbreak. But 3 years from now, people will be clueless.

It's funny, I was going to say in my last post that the news item I could best discuss is contaminated meat. ;) Still, though, I happen to have read a fair bit about that, but I would not be surprised if many applicants have not. (Did you know that Listeria and Listerine are named after the same guy?) It must be interesting to be on an adcom - I bet there are many applicants who are completely clueless about current local/global events. I hope I'm not one of them. :eek:

By the way, congrats on your 6,666th post. I'm mildly concerned about your freakishly high post count, and possible relations with the Devil.

Archived