Premed 101 Forums

Email interview confirmation

So, I have a Western interview this Saturday... and I was just reviewing my old emial when I saw this:

"Once you have set your date and time of interview, please email our office to confirm. Always quote your OMSAS number (2008 8xxxxx), day, and time of your interview when you fax or email.

NOTE: If you are unable to attend the interview, please e mail or fax a letter cancelling the interview as soon as possible, this will open the time up for someone else. Failure to confirm the interview date and time will result in the removal of your application from any further consideration."

I hadn't seen it before! I had not emailed their office to confirm, and now I am completely freaking out and upset. I called the office, and they didn't seem to know much about it, and can't check until tomorrow morning for me. I cannot believe my own stupidity here, I was so excited to get that email and log into the system that I failed to notice that the email continued beyond what was on my screen. I really can't believe myself, I'm so upset.

Can anyone help me? Is this going to hurt me? Can they have canceled my interview or anything? I mean, it didn't say we had to email to confirm by any particular date... I've done it now.

PLEASE tell me its going to be okay! Surely I'm not the only one who has made this mistake.

Thanks blinknoodle.

I both emailed and called admissions, and was told they would get back to me by tomorrow (she couldn't get into the computer system when I called, cause it was late I think). I made sure I checked my online confirmation for the time. I'm just so nervous now, and it would be a great comfort to know that others have made the same mistake and been alright.

I really can't believe myself, this is so unlike me.

It seems like a fairly explicit statement where failure to confirm results in removal of your application. If they are willing to make any allowances for you it begs the question of why it was so important for them to write it down in the first place.

All the best.

Hi Sheena,

It's ok... deep breath, you contacted them and explained your situation, and that is all you can do for now. :o

I can only imagine your panic and I can't tell you not to worry, but I did not confirm my interview time with Western and it was fine. I just went through all my "sent" email in my hotmail account and nope... I never confirmed with them after I selected my time/date with the Single Sign On.

Rocky, good question. I got nothing.

It seems like a fairly explicit statement where failure to confirm results in removal of your application. If they are willing to make any allowances for you it begs the question of why it was so important for them to write it down in the first place.

All the best.

I doubt that it is a big deal - I think that it isn't probably enforced but is rather a way to try and limit the number of individuals that fail to send the confimation email. Likely is just a tactic to reduce the administrative headaches associated with having a large number of individuals not sending confirmation emails by virtue of there not being any real incentive to confirm.

I can only imagine your panic and I can't tell you not to worry, but I did not confirm my interview time with Western and it was fine. I just went through all my "sent" email in my hotmail account and nope... I never confirmed with them after I selected my time/date with the Single Sign On.

Thanks, that does make me feel a bit more relaxed. The lady at the office said it shouldn't be a problem, I'll just feel better once she confirms that she got my (belated) confirmation email.

I'm wondering if that "failure to confirm" statement might be about failure to book and generate the online "admissions interview confirmation" or something... cause it just doesn't make sense. If it was that important, you'd think they'd at least give a date by which you must confirm without losing your interview, which they do not.

I realized the same thing the day before my interview and freaked out for a second and then realized that i could just lie and say i had sent a fax or email and they must have not gotten it. there would be no way of proving it. secondly i realized that if it was that important they would contact you. for example, calgary said please confirm your time and if we don't get it we will contact you because they didn't want to have everyone contacting them to see if they had received their confirmation, especially since we are a nutty bunch! They wonder why we are overly cautious, over-bearing people when they have such ridiculous cut and dry rules!

Bottom line is don't worry about it.

Last year I didn't see that line in the email until the night before my interview. The admissions staff at Western are awesome people and understand the stress that applicants go through. It's suffice to say it did not turn out to be a problem for me whatsoever, but it's good that you are confirming. All the best to you.

Thanks for all the reassurance guys. (It allowed me to sleep last night, lol)

They got back to me this morning and everything is fine and confirmed. Thank goodness.

Apparently they've moved to the Kresge building (its beside the med sci building) - in case anyone else is interviewing this weekend. I hadn't heard that before the email.

If i saw this earlier I could have relieved your stress a little. I also forgot to send off an e-mail. I only noticed the night before my interview. My interview confirmation matched the time I wanted, but I was still a little worried. When I went for my interview everything was fine. No questions asked.

I think they just have a buggy interview scheduling system and they want people to confirm their time. It doesn't look like they care that much.

Apparently they've moved to the Kresge building (its beside the med sci building) - in case anyone else is interviewing this weekend. I hadn't heard that before the email.

The admissions office is in K1, but interview registration and the info sessions are in Med Sci. Just follow the signs and purple balloons...

Oh, okay thanks. The wording of the email was somewhat confusing. I though it sounded a tad strange for them to move the interviews themselves. (Not that it would have been a big deal, I'm a western student already so I know where everything is and will go nice and early anyway).

Archived