Premed 101 Forums

A couple questions about GPA (after transferring uni's)

Hey everyone,

I used to use the eznet boards (way back when), but then they disappeared, so I assumed that it was gone...and then I started browsing around, and saw this, which is great.

I transferred universities after 2nd year, but during my '3rd year', because I changed programs, I could not take any courses higher than first year (because I transferred to totally different programs)

My GPA is kinda screwed up, but it looks like this (I took 5 full credits each year except for 2nd)

1st year - 3.31 (all first year courses)

2nd year - 3.30 (taking 4 courses, all second year courses)

3rd year - 3.94 (all first year courses)

4th year - 3.96 (so far, taking 6 3rd year courses and 4 2nd year courses)

5th year - this is the upcoming year

I hope to apply to all the med schools in Ontario (except Ottawa) but I'm not sure how they will treat my GPA. I never repeated any courses though.

Will they look down on my 3rd year of university because it was all first year courses? I really could not take any higher level courses (I tried getting myself in, but they wouldn't let me because my pre-reqs did not match up, which I am certain they did), and I figured instead of taking a 2nd year English course or something like that, that I would explore other types of courses a science student wouldn't, such as microeconomics and such (which is reallly interesting)

Thanks for all the help guys,

Shawn

• 3 weeks later...
If you explain what happened, you may actually have a decent shot without that fifth year at universities which look at your two best/latest years.

Thanks for the reply.

So this summer, should I email admissions at the Uni's I'm applying to? I guess only Queen's and Western would be receptive then, eh?

Archived