Premed 101 Forums

PREP 101 MCAT Course

Fade2Black

Has anybody taken the Prep 101 MCAT course? I'm considering taking it over Kaplan and Princeton b/c their course are offered on the weekends and weekdays which is very convenient. I was wondering if anybody has any insight into the quality of the program (its also cheaper than the other 2): http://www.prep101.com/mcat/comprehensive_toronto.php.

Thanks guys

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Sorry for digging up this old thread, but recently Prep101 has showed up at my campus and I wanted to find out a little more information about them.

And noticing how this badapple person commented on the OP's posting one year later, really puts more doubts about this company into my mind.

Sketchy?

I really can't speak for Prep 101's MCAT course, but if they run it like they do their undergrad prep-courses then I certainly wouldn't recommend them (at least in London).

They got in a bit of trouble a few years ago for plagiarizing notes from the professors of courses, teaching material wrong on exams (for those from UWO who can remember back far enough for a certain Orgo teachers' crusade against them) and just simply not hiring proper professionals to teach the prep courses.

They were paying students (by giving them free access to the review course) to give them access to the course notes, and then just printing off the lecture notes, putting them in a booklet, and then just redoing what was taught in lectures (and not always properly). That was going on in my first year at Western, the Orgo thing happened in my second year, and I can't say much about them by 3rd/4th year because they don't delve into those courses so I wasn't able/didn't care enough to pay attention.

Their course may be perfectly fine, I'm sure it has helped many students do better on exams at some point, but I have a hard time buying that these courses are anything more than what they used to be.

And quite frankly, I'm looking at their UWO instructors website and some of these reviews are a little farfetched. 6 instructors for undergraduate courses...all of the evaluations on their instructors range from 0.02% dissatisfied to 3% dissatisfied. When I see numbers like that, when these people have tough 1000s of kids (780 to 7800) seems a little unbelievable.

I would go to kaplan or TPR if your going to go to one because your really paying for the FL tests and prep101 i don't hear to much about. I say this because they pay students that got high MCAT scores to teach you and most of the time people maybe able to learn themselves and get a high score but cant teach you very well. my belief is those courses are a waste of time and money because you learnt all the material in your prereqs and plus i think your time is better spent figuring out what strategy works for you by staying home and experimenting and doing the passages. Don't feel like spending 1000$ is going to magically get you a high score but if your not confident in yourself or need a schedule then by all means go

• 2 months later...

I don't know about their undergraduate courses but I took the MCAT course and I found it really helpful. Coming from a science bg I didn't want to bog down my studying time with all the science concepts and I found that the classes/books they used were right to the point. They also use examkracker books which from everyone I've heard, are the best to prepare you for the MCATs because they give you the hardest examples, especially for the verbal section. I wrote my MCATs in June and I did really well :)

Lol badapple is clearly affiliated with prep101. His only 2 posts are saying how amazing it is. There goes any reputation that company had ...:rolleyes:

I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion just because someone posted a couple of times that they liked the course. It's a major assumption on your part and I think it should not be taken seriously.

ahaha. awesome. well done Cling on calling badapple out. what a dink.

Why you chose to agree with someone's random comment and then include an insult is beyond me. It's just rude.

Yup, i've taken the course and i thought it was well organized and really good value

The instructors were the strong point of this course.

I am a person who recently took the course and happen to agree with badapple. I do not work for them and have nothing to gain from posting here other than sharing my opinion of the course. I previously wrote the MCAT and studied for it on my own. It was a learning experience that led me to believe a prep course was the way to go. I found Prep101 through my internet searches and comparing it to the reviews of the other companies (which were poor) I decided to sign up. I haven't regretted my decision one bit! I enjoyed the course and will give you a few reasons why:

- the flexible schedule which I took full advantage of

- the books used by this program for studying (I felt the study questions were very similar in content and difficulty to the real thing in many cases, especially the verbal ones)

- the instructors were all very knowledgeable and willing to discuss difficulties you might have outside of class hours, they gave out their email address for this reason

- the structure which meant I had to stick to a schedule and cover all material

- the valuable tips on how to write a great essay for the MCAT

and

- the online study aids.

It's been invaluable and the cost was well worth it!

• 4 weeks later...

I can't speak to their MCAT course, but I did take one of their courses at Western to assist me in preparing for the final exam. I found the instructor really knowledgeable, and their approach to teaching very direct yet comprehensive. I can definitely say that taking the course made a huge difference in the overall improvement in my final mark.

Archived