Premed 101 Forums

Referee contacted?!?

Just wanted to let you guys know that UBC contacted my community referee. She emailed me today and informed me. Didn't really tell me when she was contacted or what was asked. Not sure what this means and if it's totally random. Any one here in the same boat?

Just wanted to let you guys know that UBC contacted my community referee. She emailed me today and informed me. Didn't really tell me when she was contacted or what was asked. Not sure what this means and if it's totally random. Any one here in the same boat?

Friends I've spoken to who are first year med students at UBC say one of two things - that their referees were contacted or not at all. They also told me that this is what their classmates told them as well.

This makes me think it's random.

I'm trying not to read too much into my own verifier being contacted recently. Made my heart jump though.

Friends I've spoken to who are first year med students at UBC say one of two things - that their referees were contacted or not at all. They also told me that this is what their classmates told them as well.

This makes me think it's random.

I'm trying not to read too much into my own verifier being contacted recently. Made my heart jump though.

But this is the first year they are doing our three references completely electronically, so I think they might be checking everyone to make sure nobody faked their reference..

Yeah, it sounds like it is a standard process this year. My personal referee sent me an email today saying she was contacted too. So that makes both comm and personal for me. Honestly, I'm trying not to think about it though. not much we can do now but wait :)

none of mine were contacted

It's still early.

Besides, it is not established that everyone's referees will get contacted. Again this is another "best guess" at the process, which when said often enough by many others, seems to take on a veneer of truth. It is funny to observe page 1 of this thread. You can totally follow how a conjecture becomes a certainty. A handful of us here declaring our referees being contacted is not a representative sample of the interviewed applicants - no one knows this for sure.

My community reference was contacted but I also know a few applicants from last year whose referees were contacted and remain as applicants this year. Some of them are good friends (good luck, you guys :)... good luck to us all) who throw their hands up in the air when trying to guess the process at this stage.

i overheard some kids at school say they were contacting those with hotmail or gmail addresses etc that people could easily make up a lot...wonder if there is truth in this...

My referee who was contacted has an email from his work so probably not true, although I wouldn't doubt they would contact referees with hotmail adresses etc.

Archived