Premed 101 Forums

Clinical Programs

Hi guys,

I've been reading the posts for awhile now and I have a few questions. I received an interview at western but I'm nervous about my chances to get in for several reason. I have an undergrad degree in biochemistry and my marks were kind of rough until my last year which was quite high. So I went on to do a two year (eq. of four yrs) nursing degree at UofT, which I am almost finished. I'm not sure how my marks will be calculated, my last year of biohchem is over a 3.7 and my first year of nursing is over a 3.7 but I have read that they do not combine programs. Do I have to get a 3.7 in this final year to be accepted? I'm nervous because my standing right now in this year is around a 3.65 and my final marks now depend on two huge essays and being a biochem nerd I'm not the greatest essay writer in the world. I have read on the western website that clinical programs are considered on an individual basis, therefore would I not be kicked out of the acceptance list if I did not receive my 3.7 in the last year? (I hope so!:( )

Sorry for the long post!!

I've talked to them about this because I did a 4 year degree in kinesiology... and then went to do a degree in health science..... and I wanted to make sure that I didn't have to be in the last year of my second degree to apply.... they told me that I could apply in the 2nd year of the second degree but that the 2 required years of 3.7 would have to come from my new degree, they couldn't dip into both.

Sorry to say it, I would cross my fingers and maybe talk to the professors that these courses are in...... Not that I advocate whining for marks but I believe in a grading system that punishes a 79 heavily while rewarding an 80..... it isn't out of the question to inquire if you're a few decimal points off on something subjective as an essay...... But hopefully you pull through and get that 3.7 .... good luck!

Archived