Premed 101 Forums

Wales..

Guest Mala2003

Guest Mala2003

Does anyone know anything about the medical school in Wales? (*Britain*)

Does they require MCAT scores? etc... tuition fees? (*I'm sure its hideously high for international students!*)

Guest Badkarma25

hey there,

britain has some great med schools (think cambridge and oxford)...trouble is, the admissions process is somewhat mystic...basically if you're coming from north america with an undergrad degree, your marks had better be good enough to get you into a north american school. as for getting in out of high school, i'm not sure. i don't know of any medical schools in britain or northern ireland that require the MCATs (none that i've enquired to require it and i've inquired at newcastle-upon-tyne, glasgow, edinburgh, kings college, bristol, oxford, and a few others)...ireland does require the mcats (except trinity). tuition in england is ridiculous for international students (don't know offhand what it is, but i know it's at least $20K cdn per year and the programs are 5 years minimum. hope this helps.

Guest Mala2003

Hi BadKarma25,

Thanks for the information. I know that the medical schools in Ireland does require the MCAT. I'm not sure about the schools in England. I'll look into the ones you wrote down that don't require the MCAT.

I think the tuition fees are a bit higher than what you mentioned. (It is hideously high after you convert it to the poor Canadian dollar! :eek )

Guest Badkarma25

hi again,

you can pretty much be sure that most english schools don't require the mcat...i don't know of one in england/wales/scotland/northern ireland that require it.

Guest Mala2003

Thanks! And that was such a quick reply. Since you seem to know so much about the process - do you know when the application deadlines are? I heard it was Jan 15th (is that correct?) Where do you GET the applications? Does the applicant have to go through an interview process or is it strictly based on GPA and extra-curricular activities?

Guest Badkarma25

hi again,

i know when i was thinking of applying to english schools in 2000 and 2001, the standard operating procedure was you applied through UCAS (similar to the OMSAS in ontario)....you ordered the app from them and they sent you a print or cd rom so you could do it electronically....then you had a limited number of schools you could apply to. now i don't know if that has changed or if the dates have changed (they might have different dates for international students though they never told me that when i inquired). i know that in many cases, you can be considered in a different category. for instance, oxford takes VERY FEW international students, and at many schools if you are over 23 you are considered a mature student so the criteria can differ. if you ahve more questions or want to shoot the breeze, hit me up at badkarma_25@hotmail.com

Archived