Premed 101 Forums

practicing in North America

Guest premed81

Guest premed81

Hello all,

I was wondering for those of you who are interested in international med schools or are at one right now, how easy (or difficult) is it to come back to Canada or US to get a residency position or even practice medicine?

I would like some realistic info on this before I dare take the international plunge. Any statistics would be great. Also, a brief outline of what would have to be done to get a residency or establish oneself as a practicing physician would also be appreciated. I know it differs from place to place, but anything would be helpful. Thank you.

Guest jeffsimz

here's my two cents, and let me say this info is from speaking with family friends that are in the Caribbean or Ireland now..it is by no means the authority

getting a residency in the states will not be a problem, but don't expect to land any competitive specialties

coming to canada will be extremely tough, and I wouldn't count on it but who knows what the policies will be in four years..

Just my opinion, again, I am not the authority on this..

Guest redshifteffect

I'm currently in med in Australia...

Keep this in mind though who says you will want to come back after your 5-6 years of training?

There is always the possibility that you are offered a job where you are getting ur degree from and u simply decide to stay there. That is one of the reasons I didn't pick the Carib...because I knew I couldn't stay.

Guest cradlecrotch

Except that in Caribbean schools you do only basic sciences on the islands and clerkship in the US, then residency in an American hospital...so if anything you'd be settling in the States.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cradlecrotch

Relatively easily...perhaps not in one's first choice of residency location, but afterwards it's wide open. If you want FP or IM, it's especially easy.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived