Premed 101 Forums

What should I do

Looks like we do have a VERY VERY similar situation!!!

A lot of people gave me good advices on this thread:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26495

don't give up!!

What sounds most possible in our situation is U.Western since they look your best 2 years and MCAT!!!

In Quebec.....doing an undergraduate degree is almost an handicap when applying to med school.

There are 4 med schools:

McGill, Sherbrooke, Laval(quebec city), U.Montreal

The MCAT is not required to any of these places and there is 2 different kinds of selections. They separate people coming from CEGEP from people coming from university undergrad programs. This is not advantageous for us since they take less graduate students than CEGEP...Sherbrooke is REALLY radical on that ...they almost don't take graduate students (around 20%, read this here on premed 101, on a french thread)...

The others are much fairer.. something around 60% CEGEP and 40% Graduate...

But we will be competing against graduates coming from health related programs...it will be a savage competition for us, looking at our program, ECON and our problems during a period of time with grades....

Apparently U.Manitoba favorises local students... that's good news for you.

<<The number of year one positions available for 2007/08 is100 of which 90% will be filled by residents of Manitoba.

Any Canadian citizen/permanent resident may apply.>>

http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2008_admissions_book.pdf

Ontario med schools don't have these << local students filling requirements>>, they seem to be more opened than these from other provinces...

So....the best strategy will be to apply EVERYWHERE...even abroad if needed.

That's the lottery statistical solution... 100% of lottery winners bought a lottery ticket.....lol

Good luck!! I hope we both succeed!!

Archived