Premed 101 Forums

Aus. International Student Misinformaion????

Guest c4rd14c

Guest c4rd14c

I just spoke with someone at Flinders and it seems that they now have a policy stating that if you gain permanent resident status in Australia, you lose your spot as an international student. It seems that they really don't want you to stop paying those international student fees. This policy seems questionable to me but it is on their website.

From Flinder's Website:

Australian permanent residency status

Please note that in view of the Commonwealth Government limitations on the number of medical school places in Australia an offer of admission to a fee-paying international student will be invalid if he or she is granted Australian permanent resident status before the course commences; and if an international student gains Australian permanent residency after commencing the BMBS at Flinders, the student will not be granted a HECS liable place in the course and his or her enrolment will be cancelled.

Any such student who wished to be considered for a HECS liable place in the course, would need to reapply for admission in the Australian citizen/permanent resident quota.

• 7 months later...
Guest redshifteffect

This is the case for many Aussie schools...especially for you guys since you all have a degree and immigration for you would be peanuts. The key difference is that depending on whether you know your profs well or not you may be able to gain admission back into your course...as some malaysians studying here have been able to do.

But as someone else has pointed out in another forum, this may be the case in Tasmania where I'm studying only because the availability of spots due to failures/dropouts may be higher in the 6 year programs than in the 4 year post graduate ones.

Also you will eventually require a PR If you want to stay and do your specialty training.

Archived