Premed 101 Forums

Which US schools give a Canadian the best shot?

Deanis

Hi guys/girls.

I'm planning on applying to the US this fall along with Canadian schools (seeing as it's ridiculously hard to get into schools here).

My question is which schools are most friendly to international/Canadian applicants?

Thanks.

as its been said in other posts, if you can't get into a candian med school, then it's likely you won't get into an american med school either. Canadians applying to american med schools tend to need stats much higher than your typical american applicant. Ie. Wayne state university in michigan is considered one of the most canadian friendly US med schools since canadians are considered out of state and not internationals, but if you look at the stats, the average canadian mcat score tends to be around 33 (a little higher on average than even canadian med schools). And wayne state isn't even ranked in the top 50 US med schools (and i could be mistaken, but i don't think its even ranked in the top 100 US med schools either)

as its been said in other posts, if you can't get into a candian med school, then it's likely you won't get into an american med school either. Canadians applying to american med schools tend to need stats much higher than your typical american applicant. Ie. Wayne state university in michigan is considered one of the most canadian friendly US med schools since canadians are considered out of state and not internationals, but if you look at the stats, the average canadian mcat score tends to be around 33 (a little higher on average than even canadian med schools). And wayne state isn't even ranked in the top 50 US med schools (and i could be mistaken, but i don't think its even ranked in the top 100 US med schools either)

WSUSOM is a very respectable medical school. It's probably the only respectable thing at Wayne State. It ranks 22nd (137 mil $) in research expenditures and it's the largest single campus medical school in the states. If it wasn't respectable, it wouldn't recieve so much research funding. I wouldn't critisize any medical school without knowing anything about it....

i am not criticizing the school, all i'm saying is that it is not ranked highly relative to ther US med schools (the US univeristy system is highly stratified compared to canada). Now, i have never seen that stat you posted, but if you do research on how it is ranked as a med school strait up, i guarantee you it will not be ranked 22. To clarify my previous post, the whole point of this thread is about the difficulty in getting into US med schools, not the quality of them. Wayne state is just as good a med school as most in canada and most in the US. MY POINT (read carefully this time please) is that wayne state is not ranked very high relative to other US med schools and yet the entrance stats for canadians is still extremely competitive (ie. at least 33 MCAT required).

yes, you'll need a competitive mcat for the states usually, but what's good is generally US medschools have lower gpa averages. The average gpa for wayne state is 3.57. In canada, someone can easily get screwed with having poor gpa, even with a awesome MCAT. That same person has a much better shot in the US. Also just because of sheer volume of schools you can apply to, you generally have a better shot in the states than you do in canada (except probably IP school).

Archived