Premed 101 Forums

El Freakage Outage --Study timeline--

I'm in the same situation as you actually. (I chose the June date just because that was the only one I wouldn't need to get up at 5am for... Then I realized that the date is Friday the 13th... lol lucky? *cough cough*)

I'll have less than 6 weeks to study because my exams end on the 25th and I have work/volunteer/meetings basically everyday until May 3rd.

I'd say it's possible but I'm biased. :P (or hopeful or delusion, your pick :D ).

I suggest taking a practice MCAT (it doesn't even need to be a good or recent one) just to get a rough idea of where you are.

First of all, I love your lingo. You type like I talk and that makes me wanna be a better man.

Secondly, the amount of time you need depends entirely on your intelligence. My one friend studied for 3 weeks, 39R, another for the entire summer, 32Q. 6 weeks will suffice if you're a smart guy.

Guest begaster

While intelligence is undoubtedly important, the average time commitment for someone who does well is between 3-400 hours of studying.

Guest begaster

Ultimately, you need to remember that to get into an Ontario school, you're looking at scoring in the 80th percentile range, and you're going to be competing with a population of neurotic premeds, most of which want to get into medical school as much as you do. Spend the time to study for it. For every story of someone getting a 39 after three weeks, there are a hundred others of someone else doing the same and ending up with a 26. To advise you to do so would be foolhardy.

As for taking the class, I wrote the MCAT this last September (did rather well) after taking the Princeton Review class, and I'm teaching for them as of May. This is how I see it:

1) The material is phenomenal. The review books, question bank, and practice tests are well worth the rather steep price. They get you prepared.

2) Whether the class is worth it to you or not has to do with your own study practices and habits. Consider the following:

a. How well do you know the material going in? I hadn't taken a biology course in two years, and never had taken either physiology or organic chemistry. Going in, I knew I wanted someone to teach me these classes fresh. If you have a strong background in all of the subjects, though, the class becomes little more than review for you. Very focused, fast-moving review, but nothing you can't get out of the textbooks you can buy from TPR.

b. Are you good at scheduling study time on your own, or do you need someone to basically help keep you honest? I never had this problem, I'm good at making my own schedules, but I knew a lot of people in my class who were only motivated to continue grinding through the material because they had to keep up with the class.

So, definitely buy the books/access to the material, and figure out for yourself if the course itself is going to be a worthwhile prospect for your own needs.

Also, good luck. The MCAT sucks.

Ultimately, you need to remember that to get into an Ontario school, you're looking at scoring in the 80th percentile range, and you're going to be competing with a population of neurotic premeds, most of which want to get into medical school as much as you do. Spend the time to study for it. For every story of someone getting a 39 after three weeks, there are a hundred others of someone else doing the same and ending up with a 26. To advise you to do so would be foolhardy.

As for taking the class, I wrote the MCAT this last September (did rather well) after taking the Princeton Review class, and I'm teaching for them as of May. This is how I see it:

1) The material is phenomenal. The review books, question bank, and practice tests are well worth the rather steep price. They get you prepared.

2) Whether the class is worth it to you or not has to do with your own study practices and habits. Consider the following:

a. How well do you know the material going in? I hadn't taken a biology course in two years, and never had taken either physiology or organic chemistry. Going in, I knew I wanted someone to teach me these classes fresh. If you have a strong background in all of the subjects, though, the class becomes little more than review for you. Very focused, fast-moving review, but nothing you can't get out of the textbooks you can buy from TPR.

b. Are you good at scheduling study time on your own, or do you need someone to basically help keep you honest? I never had this problem, I'm good at making my own schedules, but I knew a lot of people in my class who were only motivated to continue grinding through the material because they had to keep up with the class.

So, definitely buy the books/access to the material, and figure out for yourself if the course itself is going to be a worthwhile prospect for your own needs.

Also, good luck. The MCAT sucks.

Hey begaster...I am in a similar pre-mcat situation as you were in except that I havent taken physics and ochem2. Im also enrolled in the TPR course. I was wondering how you studied on your own for the material outside class?

Thanks.

Guest begaster

They actually give you a pretty nice study schedule, with homework assignments and such. Since my MCAT was about a month and a half after the class ended, I saved half the material from each section for a second review and went through it during that six week period.

• 2 weeks later...

Study until you don't need to anymore.

It's fine to say that the average pre-med kid will study 400 hours but if you don't need the 400, for the love of sanity...just don't. Study until you know all the material and are confident in your abilities to handle the pressure of the actual exam.

If you just took the material, then providing you studied right during your courses, a lot of the information should still be in your head. There is a big difference between repeating basic concepts and building on the foundation you already have.

Couldn't agree more with just trying a full practice MCAT and seeing what happens.

Archived