Premed 101 Forums

Kicked out of med school?

Guest Kalvin

Guest quebecboy

There are requirements to maintain in order to stay in school (example: Pass your classes, show an attitude that is compatible with the practice of medicine...). This probably applies everywhere, since no medschool wants to have an incompetent doctor graduating from their program. So yes, it is definitely possible to be kicked out. However, don't worry, with a bit of work it's fairly easy to meet the requirements...

Quebecboy

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

It's pretty rare for someone to get kicked out of medical school for general incompetence, although it does happen from time to time. Most people who don't graduate on time, end up being kicked out or "asked to withdraw" probably shouldn't be there in the first place, most times due to serious psychiatric pathology (ie: personality disorders, being an Ottawa Senators fan, etc.).

You'd like to think that our screening process would weed these people out, but the truth is, that like most systems in life, the selection process isn't perfect and sometimes the "questionable admissions" do manage to slip through the cracks. It's sad, but it's the truth.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

At UofC you can be asked to withdraw if you fail any 3 of our block exams (and there are about 10 of those within first and second year). I believe another recommendation to withdraw can occur if any one exam is failed three times (if it is failed twice then you must repeat the whole year), and the latter has happened to 1-2% of our class in first and in second year.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest blinknoodle

I knew someone who never returned to McGill.. I'm not sure if they failed per se or asked to leave. The way it was explained to me was they he had failed a key communications course, which he had felt was highly subjective, and was simply the way they had justified it.

But otherwise, everyone is really helping you to pass. I think the majority of people who don't return to medicine to so by their own choice (ie. medicine wasn't for them, etc).

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Do you know what they call the guy who graduates lowest in his class? M.D.

I'm not sure about other schools, but I've never heard of that happening at UWO.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest satsumargirl

I know someone who graduate last in his class...and he entered with the highest marks in his class. Just didn`t want to be a doctor but parents had a big influence and well...he is a doc and he doesnt`love it but he doesn't hate it and he isn`t a bad doctor, actually he is quite involved in the profession.

As for flunking out...at Ottawa, if you fail an exam you write it again in the summer. There are people that have failed exams this year....I don`t know how common it is to fail the second try.

If you fail 3 exams, then I believe you have a "discussion" about whether medicine is the best choice for you.

Actually if you get below a certain mark on any exam (even if you pass) you need to make an appointment with the assistant dean (I believe that is who it is with) to discuss your study habits etc. So I guess it seems they at least track your progress and habits and offer support to avoid having a student fail.

Guest Jochi1543
Swango had one particularly odd trait that left many professors stunned. If upbraided for making an error during technique, he would drop immediately to the floor to perform a series of self-chastising push-ups, a form of punishment practiced by the military – but not by civilian pre-meds!

Gotta add that to my repertoire....:lol

Terrible story though.:(

Guest DancingDoc

That is one of the most terrifying things I have ever read.... Could someone get away with that no a days... trust is only good to a point.

Guest physiology

Another personal anecdote.

I was talking to a resident who got into ophtho in an Ontario university, and he had failed a course during 2nd year meds. So he had to remediate. He had a masters in the area though.

My point - it's hard to fail out of medical school, and failing a course may not be so bad! The "F" you get translates into a "P" once you remediate the course at UBC!

The dean's office is also quite nice - they realize it takes so much for someone to get in. So you might as well keep us here and give us second chances.

Physio

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

If you really set your mind to it you can probably get kicked out of medical school, but on the whole it's a lot less work to just stay in and pass than to be turfed.

Getting caught sleeping with a patient would probably do it, as would stealing medication or actively murdering somebody under your care. Shirking your clinical responsibilities (ie "geez, I don't feel like going into the hospital today, I think I'll sleep in), would also do it if you make a habit of it. Having abysmal social/interpersonal skills -- we're talking "raised by wolves" here -- might get you kicked out eventually, but on the other hand it might make you a perfect candidate for a surgical residency (I keed! I keed!)

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about it. If you have the intelligence and work ethic to get *in*, there's no reason you should have to leave for academic reasons.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQFEHgdu/HNgbK3bC2wRAhsEAJ4lEOq5w8UEW+BksTBGqxv5/ZlCoQCfS1uB

ICTj8JzEEvytSF1uSPK7rbM=

=Qylz

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest treehuggingbiologist
Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about it. If you have the intelligence and work ethic to get *in*, there's no reason you should have to leave for academic reasons.

I think Kalvin might be looking for a way out.

Set up a chessboard with a cadaver and have a full conversation with them while you play. That might get you noticed provided the right people see you at work.

Guest RoseSmurfette

Just our of curiousity, what about cases where a person has personal difficulties such that they can't cope with the workload in med school (for example, gets pregnant, major depression, etc.). What might happen in that case - would they get a leave of absence for a year?

Guest quebecboy

Normally, if you have a good reason, medschools will let you take a year (or more) off, and then start up again. Remember, the school isn't out to get you. They want you to be happy in their program. It'd be hard to imagine that a school of medicine, who puts so much emphasis on the whole psychosocial and physical well being of patients and doctors, would refuse a student who was wishing to stop one year in order to take care of a newborn child, to strengthen their mental health or yet for other health related reasons.

Some schools are actually quite open for the leave of absence. One of my friends is stopping for a year (before starting externship) in order to visit Israel, and the faculty gave her the thumbs up.

QcBoy

Archived