Premed 101 Forums

Schulich Scholarship

isn't it "would be unable to attend medical school for financial reasons?" but doesn't that criteria become unsatisfiable by virtually everyone regardless of socioeconomic status, since huge bank lines of credit are readily available to med students?

Maybe not everyone can actually secure a line of credit if they already have debt and/or their family has a low income/bad credit/no equity. I have no experience whatsoever in this but I'm sure there's some people out there that may have a hard time getting a loan/line of credit even with the future projected income based on becoming a physician.

Thank god canadian schools aren't like some American ones who demand $240,000 be put in a trust fund before beginning first year, cuz with that there would be a whole lot more people who would actually be unable to attend medical school for financial reasons (imagine building up interest on a $240K loan for 4 whole years - ouch!).

It does seem a little off though, because I would think that the large majority of people would be able to secure the standard med school line of credit, and then there's no difference between someone from a low family income background and someone who funds their own education. Personally I'm not going to bother filling out the Schulich app because I don't think my family income/assets would be considered super low, even though I'll be financing school myself.

yeah, maybe i'm assuming too much, but I got the impression that the med student line of credit is offered with little/no questions asked from MD management, scotiabank, and rbc provided you are registered at an ontario or canadian medical school.

It is for people who cold not otherwise attend Med School because of coming from a low income family, who would have incurred large debt from undergrad or people who have dependents, etc, etc. My understanding is that it is not for an ave med student, who has relatively little debt from undergrad- often thanks to parents, and/or no ties- no spouse, kids, etc. to support- mortgage, bills, etc. We all become poor as a result of being a med student, but it is manageable.

That makes sense, but I wonder why they didn't also ask us what our level of debt from undergrad is then? It seems silly to just look at how much your parents made during undergrad to ascertain your likelihood of having debt when one simple extra question could have told them exactly if you have debt and how much.

Er, unless that was a question on the online bursary ap. Now that I think of it, it probably was.

I do wish Schulich would spread the money out a bit though. As has been said, everyone will get some bank funding. This all or nothing system kinda annoys me... having more of a gradient and spreading the money out more would be more fair.

I do wish Schulich would spread the money out a bit though. As has been said, everyone will get some bank funding. This all or nothing system kinda annoys me... having more of a gradient and spreading the money out more would be more fair.

I definitely agree, but to my understanding, this money is mainly from Mr. Schulich himself? In which case, he gets to do what he thinks is fair, and that is trying to help people with low income family backgrounds. Personally I would rather it be spread out, but really as long as western just accepts me, I won't complain, haha.

I definitely agree, but to my understanding, this money is mainly from Mr. Schulich himself? In which case, he gets to do what he thinks is fair, and that is trying to help people with low income family backgrounds. Personally I would rather it be spread out, but really as long as western just accepts me, I won't complain, haha.

Yep, that's my understanding as well. Its definitely his money to do with what he will, but that doesn't mean we have to agree with his methods. ;)

I'll also most definitely not complain if I get into the school though... that concern pretty much trumps everything.

well i guess there is a bit of a psychological impact that 15 20k scholarships make, as opposed to 150 2k scholarships... the 15 or so students who get those scholarships will be very greatly relieved, whereas if everyone got 2k, it probably wouldn't make much of an impact on their overall tuition expenses.

I didn't end up applying. My parents didn't want to give so much tax info when there's not much of a chance. Oh well, the most important thing is getting in, I won't ask for too much lol.

Same here. I only applied for the general bursaries. For those I only needed to give my own info.

If I remember correctly, it's because I have been out of high school for 5 years.

Same. Isn't it that if you've been out of high school for at least 4 years then you don't need your parent's income. In which case everyone with a 4 year degree completed this year would be in that situation, no?

Archived