Premed 101 Forums

Int'l Medically-Related Volunteer Experience

Guest Kirsteen Can MBA

Guest Kirsteen Can MBA

Hello all,

Can anyone point me in the direction of some resources to investigate re: short-term, international, medically-related volunteering opportunities? The key here is short-term, as I work full-time, plus am planning on taking a full complement of courses in September, thus I'll have, at most, two weeks to spare at a time, for time donation.

Thus far, the few organizations whose information I have perused offer international posts, but of a longer duration.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Katie

I haven't looked into this website in much depth, but http://www.volunteerabroad.com seems to have many international volunteer opportunities. The site offers both short term (2 weeks) and long term (2 years) positions. Most of the postings aren't medically related, but do involve development of leadership skills, communication skills, etc.

Guest sizzlechest

Yes Kirsteen, I looked into this about a year and a half ago and ended up travelling to Africa for 3 weeks. I went through a US organization that places and houses volunteers abroad - Cross-Cultural Solutions (www.crossculturalsolutions.com)great people, they take care of everything for you, but expect to pay for it. In fact, for such a short duration you'll be hardpressed to find any sort of financial support. Also try Global Volunteers at www.globalvolunteers.com/

I too went with Cross-Cultural Solutions to Ghana last summer(4 weeks in May). You can do almost anything you want- (i.e hospital related/clinic/teaching....) The only down part is the price(in U.S $'s...but if you have the money well worth it. Check out the some other sites as well...

quic.queensu.ca/outgoing/...nteer.html

www.imva.org/index.html

www.crossculturalsolutions.org/

Guest Kirsteen Can MBA

Hi,

Ta for all of the links. I'll do some investigating. Africa...hmmmm.

Thank you,

Kirsteen

Guest sizzlechest

Hi JL, just wanted to find our more about your experience in Ho considering we both spent time in the same place... When did you go and what was your placement? I was there Oct 99 and worked at Miracle Life Clinic. How are Besa, Crafty and the rest of the gang?

Guest Kirsteen Can MBA

Great pointer, thank you!

I took a further look at Cross-Cultural Solutions and they appear to have some excellent programs.

Their itineraries seem quite interesting, but could you go into some detail, re: the extent of your experiences there? Would you highly recommend traveling with them? Also, what were the highpoints/lowpoints of your stay in Ghana?

Thank you again,

Kirsteen

Guest sizzlechest

Medically speaking, the extent of the experience is fantastic and much more than what you could hope to receive in a first-world setting in terms of what they'll allow you to see and do. They throw you right into the middle of things - kind of strange and exciting at the same time. I worked in a private medical clinic, sitting in with the doctor as he saw patients. We would discuss the individual case before bringing in the patient and then debrief when the patient had left - extraordinarily fascinating stuff, actually. You'll notice a huge difference in the way things are done there compared to N. America. The clinic also has a small lab where blood tests and other analyses are done - get ready to draw blood, prepare slides, perform finger-pricks and tests for pregnancy & various other tropical diseases (most are done using old-fashioned means all you'll try all of them). Forget about notions like patient confidentiality and legal liability - these things hardly apply over there. As a result, you'll be allowed to see and do a lot. They are more than happy to answer all of your questions.

All placements run for half the day, you'll be out each day at noon and will be free to do whatever you like (people there typically don't go to see the doctor after noon anyway). You may also spend some time at the public hospital if you choose...there you'll really get to see how terrible health care is in Africa. You may also design your own program: I conducted a needs assessment for AIDS education in the local secondary school. This all takes place in the town of Ho (pop'n 50,000), capital of the Volta Region.

You will be housed, fed well and provided with bottled water. You'll have the chance to take trips, tours, etc. I would highly recommend travelling with them. Ghana is a great country to travel to as far as Africa is concerned: politically stable and low in crime. You will be overwhelmed by the friendliness of the people. If you are not black, and especially if you are white, you will treated like a celebrity - at times literally surrounded and asked for your autograph. Prepare to hear "wezo!" shouted out to you everwhere you go (friendly Ewe word meaning, well, "white man"). The cultural immersion is the high point, and is really the mandate of CCS as an organization. Your experience will be much more than just medical. As for a low point, I found travelling around the country to be draining... no public bussing system, only private ones that travel between cities and run on no fixed schedule ie, bus leaves only when it's JAM packed full of patrons. No A/C of course, and quite uncomfortable. But, of you are the type of person who celebrates cultural differences and can therefore handle a bit of culture shock, this trip will definitely be unforgettable!

PS, let me know of you end up choosing CCS for your trip.

Nice correction on the 'Yevu'-How soon we forget :) ... Excellent description of the program. I was teaching basic neuro anatomy/physiology at the local Nursing training college for 3 weeks and then I spent about a week at the mircale life clinic. (Are you Daniel?), I remember when i was there the lab techs were talking about a Yevu, i think a canadian, who insisted on eating every local dish (i.e grasscuter & cat).

Anyway, As you can see you really can do anything. I had no real teaching experience and was able to do lectures 3 times a week.

Besa was fine and Krafty was great. took a while to get used to his accent though :)

They actually opened up two more spots in Ghana. one in a smaller town called Akatchi and one in Keta(on the coast). Kwaku must be busy!

Where did you apply ???

I'm really happy to see some comments on CCS because I've been thinking about volunteering with them next summer. For the people on this board who have experiences with CCS, I have a few questions.

First, did you go with a group that you knew, or alone?

Secondly, if you're female did you have any safety issues?

Basically, I want to do some intl medical volunteer work but none of my friends are at all interested in that sort of thing. Because I'm a woman I'm a little nervous to go alone, which I think is understandable. So, if any of the women on this board have travelled/internationally volunteered alone and have any advice or stories, I'd love to hear them.

Guest sizzlechest

I went alone and it was fantastic... You'll bond with the other volunteers in your group very quickly. As far as safety issues go for women, use the same common sense one would use here. In most areas of Ghana the crime rate is quite low. Do not hesistate to go there alone... Once you get there you will become instant friends with the others and therefore be alone no longer.

I agree completely with sizzle...I also went without knowing anyone else in the group. Being in such a different environment makes people bond very quickly.

Most of my group members were women and i remeber speaking with them on this issue, and they told me they often felt much safer walking alone in ghana, than in their home cities after dark. At least in the small town that we were in. the people in general are as in most countries, a lot more aggressive in the major cities.

anyway, that my 2 cents.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest stargirl

sizzlechest,

did you have any 'health profession' related experience before going...on their web-site they say that as unless you have experience, you'll mostly get to do lots of observation and assist with SIMPLE procedures...sounds like you got to do a lot more than that...

p.s. how long did you go for?

Guest Carolyn

If you are interested in Northern Thailand and the Burmese Refugee situation, check out the Mae Tao clinic:

faculty.washington.edu/kwangett/burma/

www.studentbmj.com/back_i...e/425.html

In Pattaya in Thailand there is an orphanage for a number of orphans, street children and disabled young people. www.pattayaorphanage.org....nteers.htm

Another place in Thailand is the Agape Home in Chiang Mai, which cares for abandoned babies and children who are HIV-positive and/or have AIDS...

I also have some ideas from Nepal if you are interested in going there; however, things are pretty iffy there right now.

Anyways, I suggest thinking of a country/area you are interested in, coming up with a type of place you'd like to volunteer and then searching for a couple on the internet and contacting them directly. I'm sure it would be cheaper than going through an organized programme.

Let me know if you want more contact ideas.

Carolyn

Archived