Premed 101 Forums

GPA, MCAT for Ireland Schools

Guest rmac77

Guest rmac77

Just wondering...

what are the GPA and MCAT requirements for Irish medical schools??

How do they look at the GPA (ie. do they look at all years, or just three best, etc.?)

Guest UWOMED2005

My understanding is that Irish medical schools don't even look at your university marks. . . they look at your high school. I have a friend who decided to go to Cork for medical school after not doing as well in undergrad as he'd hoped. . . but his High School marks were excellent. The program is 6 years (I believe, info is 2nd hand) and runs about $30-40k Canadian per year.

Guest rmac77

Yes, that may be true for the 6 year program (which takes applicants straight from high school), however most Irish universities offer a 5 year program for individuals that have completed an undergraduate degree. In this case, they look at GPA and MCAT. Therefore, I would assume that your marks are important.

Anyone who knows about a competitive GPA for the five year program please post.

Guest UWOMED2005

I didn't know that. . . you learn something everyday. :) Yeah, I'm pretty sure my friend said he'd be taking 6 years to do the MD so the situation was a bit different for him. Wonder if he had to go through the pain of a "selective year" in first year (ie where they admit 300 people in first year but only have 150 spots for 2nd year. . . such is the case in Switzerland and many of the other European countries, I believe.)

• 8 years later...
My understanding is that Irish medical schools don't even look at your university marks. . . they look at your high school. I have a friend who decided to go to Cork for medical school after not doing as well in undergrad as he'd hoped. . . but his High School marks were excellent. The program is 6 years (I believe, info is 2nd hand) and runs about $30-40k Canadian per year.

Is this true? I have always heard that no matter how stellar your high school marks are, they don't look at them, but your GPA and MCAT.

Is this true? I have always heard that no matter how stellar your high school marks are, they don't look at them, but your GPA and MCAT.

Those individuals were referring to the 6 year program. There was no 4 year program in 2002. For the 4 year programs they look at university grades and MCAT. For the five year programs (like Trinity) they look at your gpa (no mcat necessary).

Just wondering...

what are the GPA and MCAT requirements for Irish medical schools??

How do they look at the GPA (ie. do they look at all years, or just three best, etc.?)

Typically those who go to Ireland for med school have GPA's of about 3.4 and MCAT's in the upper 20's. If Ireland is like Australia, the cutoff is 3.0 and an MCAT in the mid-upper 20's. I wouldn't pay attention to the required GPA and MCAT because to get in you would need both to be higher. What they would look at varies from school to school, like in Canada, so I would check their website.

Go check out the accepted/rejected/waitlisted

Those individuals were referring to the 6 year program. There was no 4 year program in 2002. For the 4 year programs they look at university grades and MCAT. For the five year programs (like Trinity) they look at your gpa (no mcat necessary).

So, if I have a friend who is currently doing poorly in university (in third year, but not yet graduated) right now, but his marks are excellent, could he apply to the six year program using his high school marks, not his GPA or MCAT? Or would they have to require you to do the four year program?

So, if I have a friend who is currently doing poorly in university (in third year, but not yet graduated) right now, but his marks are excellent, could he apply to the six year program using his high school marks, not his GPA or MCAT? Or would they have to require you to do the four year program?

He would likely still be required to send all of his marks in. It would be hard to cover up the fact that one had been in university for the past 2 or 3 years. It should nonetheless be easier to get into the six year program. I do not know all the details tbh.

I didn't realize that I was replying to something someone posted 9 years ago. Really hope they're DONE med by now haha...

Hahahha I didn't realize it until Der Kaiser started mentioning about there being no four year program in 2002. Then I check the post that was above me. Woops :)

Anyways thanks! Der Kaiser :D

Right now most students at the RCSI GEP have 30+ MCAT and 3.4+ GPA, with a range of 30-36 MCAT and 3.4-3.9 GPA. There have been people with 28-29 MCATs getting into RCSI, although on the rarer side. I dont really know much about statistics for the other schools, its probably somewhere in this range, probably a little lower (28+MCAT 3.4+ GPA or something). The admissions do not only look at MCAT and GPA, they also consider a lot of other options and take a close look at ECs and work history. So even if you have a great GPA and good MCAT, you are not guaranteed entry, they look at the whole package. Right now, the competition for Irish schools is almost on par with the American ones (Canada=insane).

ALL the irish schools are good, RCSI is not necessarily better than the others, it has its advantages and disidvantages (ex tuition).

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys and Girls,

I applied to several schools in EU and I have an EU nationality (French one). I was wondering what are my chances to get into any medical schools in Ireland with a cumulative and science gpa of 3.1 but a very low mcat PS 9, BS 9, V 6, and P. and if so which medical school do you advise me to apply into?and which are the easiest to enter for the 4-year medical system? Please provide with links if possible.

Thanks a lot!!!

• 8 months later...
Hey Guys and Girls,

I applied to several schools in EU and I have an EU nationality (French one). I was wondering what are my chances to get into any medical schools in Ireland with a cumulative and science gpa of 3.1 but a very low mcat PS 9, BS 9, V 6, and P. and if so which medical school do you advise me to apply into?and which are the easiest to enter for the 4-year medical system? Please provide with links if possible.

Thanks a lot!!!

If you can go to France, do residency there, and get a work permet, it will be easier to get a work permit for Quebec than going to another EU school.

• 11 months later...

Hey guys I was just wondering what my chances would be like at TCD, RCSI, UCC or UCD with these stats:

Quebec Resident studying at Concordia University

Graduating in Biochemistry with a 3.48cGPA

MCAT score: 30 (10V,10P,10B)

-Volunteer work abroad in africa building homes and doing general medical census in poor areas as well as distributing donated medicine with doctors to those in need.

-Volunteered in a neuropsychology lab for the 7 months doing estrogen research on schizophrenia

-Worked 3.5 years as a lab technicien at a pharmacy

- Volunteered at an old folks home for ~ 100hours

- Been tutoring 5 kids with severe ADHD for about 3 years at college and high school levels

I'm only applying next year and am going to attend McGill in Anatomy (2nd UG) in the mean time while applying to boost up my GPA.

Was wondering what my chances would be like? Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

Hey guys I was just wondering what my chances would be like at TCD, RCSI, UCC or UCD with these stats:

Quebec Resident studying at Concordia University

Graduating in Biochemistry with a 3.48cGPA

MCAT score: 30 (10V,10P,10B)

-Volunteer work abroad in africa building homes and doing general medical census in poor areas as well as distributing donated medicine with doctors to those in need.

-Volunteered in a neuropsychology lab for the 7 months doing estrogen research on schizophrenia

-Worked 3.5 years as a lab technicien at a pharmacy

- Volunteered at an old folks home for ~ 100hours

- Been tutoring 5 kids with severe ADHD for about 3 years at college and high school levels

I'm only applying next year and am going to attend McGill in Anatomy (2nd UG) in the mean time while applying to boost up my GPA.

Was wondering what my chances would be like? Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

Hey! I got into RCSI first round with a 3.51 GPA, 31Q MCAT (10PS 12BS 9VR but had 10PS 10BS 11VR on a previous attempt, only rewrote to have a more up-to-date score on Atlantic Bridge's recommendation). I also did a Masters and have lots of research experience, some volunteer and a good number of ECs. I think you would have a great shot at Irish schools!

Archived