Premed 101 Forums

Summer Research Pay

Salem

Like someone else said, the school is supposed to add a chunk, which puts it more towards $11-12/hour. I worked 35 hours/week for mine, which I think is the expectation.

Yeah, it was pretty sweet, I guess someone wasn't thinking, and they were deducting taxes all through the summer, and they realized at the end of the year, and gave it all back :D

You seriously can only work 35h/week? I know they SAY that, but I had to stay back so many times when I did my summer studentship. Same w/ research courses. They SAY 6-8h/week, but in reality, it's more....blahhh. Gr. Gr.

I have another question, how do you know if it's tax-free or not? I guess I can ask the secretary when I start work, but I kinda wanna know now =P So...if they say it's an "award" but it's paid fully by the hospital, does that mean I still have to pay tax?

I was just saying the minimum was $4800 (or should be). I got $9000 for one NSERC summer, which is more like $15 an hour and, yeah, it was tax free.

Only scholarships are tax free, so if you are being paid a wage that is not scholarship based (like NSERC is) then you will have to pay tax on it (though you will probably get it back thanks to tuition credits).

I'd check with your NSERC reps at your school, but I think they're supposed to be scholarships - you should get a T4A for it...

Yeah, I did my NSERC with a grad student from UBC, at a government research facility. I worked with all government employees, so they're good at leaving when the clock strikes the hour ;)

We worked with geoduck clams all summer, so it was a pretty cool summer job - dissecting clams, going on the boat and checking out field sites. Good times. I also had to do my share of paper reading/studying and cell counting and other meticulous stuff.

Awards aren't tax free. I did USRA for a few years and I got $8000 for the first summer (as a second year student) and then $8500 for the other two years. This was in the Chem Eng dept. The Chemistry dept. gave its students $7500/$8000 I think.

Some departments give their students the minimum though..that sucks.

Wow, you guys had some decent wages. I got paid $1300/month when I was working full-time in a lab for the summer. In fact, I ended up working 7 days/week, 10 hours/day. The overtime was partly my choice to produce data for a paper, but that ended up being worthless as I was scooped.

Needlessly to say, I made a career change.

The summer NSERC did not end up being the relaxing experience I expected it to be. It's been a week and I've been working 10 hour days and have to attend seminars, and lunches, and lab meetings and.... All in all, I've been spending 60 hours a week in the lab. UGHHH!

The summer NSERC did not end up being the relaxing experience I expected it to be. It's been a week and I've been working 10 hour days and have to attend seminars, and lunches, and lab meetings and.... All in all, I've been spending 60 hours a week in the lab. UGHHH!

I don't start until Monday.

I was supposed to start last Friday, but my supervisor called me and told me not to bother showing up and to enjoy a three-day weekend. I asked him if he wanted me to show up around 8 or 9 AM on Monday, he laughed and said:

"Scientists like sleeping in. 10 AM works for me."

So my summer job seems to be off to a good start -- even though it hasn't started yet.

Both my summer research job last summer/this summer are paying me minimum wage.

Actually, that's a lie, this summer I'm getting paid below minimum wage in Alberta. Somehow my supervisor made it out to be legal and it was out of her control.

Both my summer research job last summer/this summer are paying me minimum wage.

Actually, that's a lie, this summer I'm getting paid below minimum wage in Alberta. Somehow my supervisor made it out to be legal and it was out of her control.

So you are making 20 an hour? ;)

Archived