Premed 101 Forums

Summer Research Pay

Salem

Both my summer research job last summer/this summer are paying me minimum wage.

Actually, that's a lie, this summer I'm getting paid below minimum wage in Alberta. Somehow my supervisor made it out to be legal and it was out of her control.

Out of curiosity, what is minimum wage in Alberta? Must be over 10 for sure.

Does anyone else feel like the graduate students are treating them like an idiot? Because I get that impression and, while I'm definitely not as experienced as the grad students, I feel like I'm doing quite well...

Is this "normal"? I know grad students are generally disdainful of undergrads but don't they remember what it was like to be the new person in the lab?

Up to $3000 in scholarships are tax free. The rest is taxed. But with tuition credits you'll get it back. You'll know if it is a scholarship or not based on what kind of slip you get in the mail come tax season, if you aren`t sure.

If your supervisor codes your income as a research grant, look into the guidelines, cause you can deduct research related stuff. I deducted I think 30% of my computer I bought...revenue canada questioned it at first, but I had my little booklet and quoted it...they looked at it and accepted it...they guy on the phone said he didn`t even know you could do that! You can deduct your residence as long as it is not your primary residence and you are there just for research. There's other stuff u can do too. Been awhile though, so don`t remember details...just that you can get intouch with revenue canada and they'll send you the booklet and then you can read it and figure stuff out yourself. Actually, I think you can download the info online too.

Federally, all scholarship income is completely tax-free. You don't need to use any tuition credits to cover it, either. You may have to pay tax provincially, though. I know Quebec doesn't tax any scholarships... not sure about other provinces.

Federally, all scholarship income is completely tax-free. You don't need to use any tuition credits to cover it, either. You may have to pay tax provincially, though. I know Quebec doesn't tax any scholarships... not sure about other provinces.

If that is a new change...woohoo...too late for me though, I have paid my fair share of taxes on scholarships!

Does anyone else feel like the graduate students are treating them like an idiot? Because I get that impression and, while I'm definitely not as experienced as the grad students, I feel like I'm doing quite well...

Is this "normal"? I know grad students are generally disdainful of undergrads but don't they remember what it was like to be the new person in the lab?

My last summer my grad student really wouldn't let me do anything because technically I was assisting him with his master's project which was a part of a research project my doc was doing. It made me feel better knowing he was doing a master's because he failed to get into med school and that he was unattractive and socially awkward.

Grad students in my lab are total meanies!

They are the most awful people in the world. :(:(

I want to leave the lab as soon as possible, but unfortunately, I'm stuck here for the rest of the summer due to NSERC. :(

My PI isn't nice either. He is as scary and uncomforting as my grad students.

I regret having decided to do NSERC in this lab. :(

Poor me.

I want to leave the lab as soon as possible, but unfortunately, I'm stuck here for the rest of the summer due to NSERC. :(

Poor me.

If you're absolutely certain, get out. You won't be productive in an environment where you're not happy. Just make sure you're certain that these incompatibilities can't be sorted out.

Wow, sounds like some people are having a bad start. I was totally scared that it would be the same thing with me but I started today and my supervisor is so awesome. She is very chilled and flexible but still expects a fair amount of work from us. The grad student there is the same way and she does not in any way try to come off as "I'm better than you". I actually thought she was a undergrad until she told us she is working on her masters. Seems like it will be good so far!

Poor me.

Ok, no...I guess mine aren't that bad. They are not mean, just afflicted with a superiority complex. And, I am not one who responds well to superiority complexes since, in my world view, we are all people and yes, while some might be better at somethings, that is totally normal and should not be held against anyone... especially against someone who is eager to learn and interested...

Wtv. I am not going down without a fight.

Archived