Premed 101 Forums

Dual Citizenship, Four Year Schools

Guest hringrose

Guest hringrose

Hi,

I am looking for info on medical schools out of North America. . .

I could obtain dual citizenship for the UK if I wanted to. Would this be of any benefit in applying to medical school there and in living there during medical school?

Are there any four year schools in the UK or in other countries. My main concern is financial, as I am already spending money on undergrad here and I am coming from a family with limited finances.

Thanks,

hringrose

Guest mymomthinksimacatch

For England, dual citizenship is no advantage in terms of fees (or your application) unless you've lived there prior to starting. It could be an advantage after finishing med school, as it should allow you to work in other countries (don't know how that works with just a Canadian citizenship, but I've been told you can work anywhere in the EU with British citizenship).

Yes, there are 4 year programs available for students who already have a degree (in England). You can find them through UCAS (http://www.ucas.co.uk). I applied to Warwick, East Anglia and Sheffield.

Fees are high.

You may also want to explore this option carefully if you're thinking about coming back to Canada afterwards. The prospects look okay, but there are no guarantees. My work recently posted a research technician position; I was very alarmed at the number of foreign physicians who applied (although none from Western Europe).

All the best

mymom

Guest JaneUK

Mymom is right. UK tuition is based on residency. I believe that you are entitled to UK tuition rates if you have resided in the UK for three years prior to starting university.

If you are accepted to a UK university as an overseas (ie non-EU) student, you must pay overseas tuition rates every year.

Good luck,

Jane

Archived