Premed 101 Forums

med schools, need advice.

Guest RWLOOO

Guest RWLOOO

Hello. my name is Robert. I'm 22, just got my B.S. degree and am looking at medical schools. The problem is my G.P.A. is sucky; 3.0. But I have a loaded degree in professional chemistry as well as a physics minor. That program is REALLY tough. I realize that it is not good enough to get into med school here in the U.S. so I am looking other places. What I want to know is have any of you heard of a school called Kigezi. It is in Cambridge, England. From what I've read I am pretty confident I can get in there. But is the school worth it? Also, St. Matthews in the Cayman Islands as well as another school on St. Kitts. I can't remember the name of the school on St. Kitts I believe it is called the International......(something). Does anybody know anything about these schools. Also, I here if you leave the mainland it is really tough to come back and get a residency in the U.S. Obviously, I do not want to work my butt of for 7 years and get shut out of my home country. Or do you think that with my G.P.A. I need to consider other career options? I know this is a Canadian forum but I think Canada and the U.S. are pretty much in the same boat when it comes to this. I need help. Somebody please give me some advice?!:eek

Guest cradlecrotch

In terms of Caribbean schools, my first piece of advice would be to consider the following schools: Ross, St George's, AUC and Saba. The rest are dicey propositions, with significant restrictions in terms of what states you will be allowed to practice in. St. Chris and Kigezi are located in the UK, but are licensed in African countries. I don't know too much about these 2. You CAN get a US residency without much trouble...Canadians do it every year...you will be required to seek an H1-B visa.

Guest peachy

Hi RWLOOO -- I don't personally know much about schools overseas, but I suggest that you check out some of the information over at www.studentdoctor.net/ , intended for American students.

Also, you might want to look at www.mdapplicants.com , where, if you do a search, you can see the profiles of some students who were accepted to American medical schools with GPA's of less than 3.0.

Guest mttxn12

Robert,

If you have any questions about St Christopher's College of Medicine, please don't hesitate to contact me at:

mttxn12@earthlink.net

Please ensure you put [st chris] in the subject line.

I would appreciate it.

We have several Canadians in our program.

3 just entered the first semester.

A couple are spread out in the other semesters.

2 just graduated from the basic sciences.

Sincerely,

Henry

St Christopher's College of Medicine

Student Government Association

Class Representative - 3rd Semester

Medical Student, Year II

Luton, England

Guest Badkarma25

hey pal,

stay away from IUHS (international university of health sciences) on st. kitt's...it's a sham...stick with the big 4 (ross, sgu, auc, and saba)...or well known established schools in uk/ireland...mua on nevis (next to st. kitts) looks promising but only open since '98 so not established enough to really give it the green light.>:

Guest MDCY

As mentioned before, stick with the four well established Carribean med schools: SGU, Ross, AUC, and Saba. At SGU, I can honestly say that the majority (>75%) of students are Americans with 50 Canadians and a number of people from other countries. If you need more info about SGU, send me an email at drcy@hotmail.com and I'll try to answer as many of your questions as possible. I'm in 3rd term (2nd year) at SGU.

Cheers!

Guest cradlecrotch

I understand that SGU offers a scholarship to international students that Canadians qualify for...got any details on this? Like how likely one is to get it and how much it's worth...thanks.

Guest MDCY

They have been offering scholarships to international students for some years now but the likelihood of receiving one by estimates were not that great. I don't even know the amount. However, they have just introduced 125 new "Legacy of Excellence Awards" scholarships for the incoming class of fall 2003 that are valued between $40-50,000 USD in total. It is awarded based on "academic excellence in undergraduate studies." I don't know the odds are to get one or what the minimum requirements are for these scholarships but I'm glad they have them nonetheless. How about Ross?

Archived