Premed 101 Forums

Australian Med School Admissions

Guest Anon

Does anyone know what GPA and/or MCAT is competitive for international students? Also, does anyone know how many international applications these schools typically receive? I'm particularly curious about Flinders and Sydney, if anyone knows this information.

• 1 month later...

Both Flinders and Sydney Uni require graduate entry only. if Int'l applicant, only offer about 5 places and once a year, apply by October prior. GPAs prefered High Distinctions and entrance test. (i.e. you may as well apply at home). Sorry buddy.

[Tasmania Uni offers "UOC" (uses other criteria), no need to be a graduate, if you get distinct. to High distinction for 3 semesters in a row you stand a chance, still must take entrance exam, 6 years course]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest arcticaguy

what is distinction/high distinction? ie. are you referring to a gpa from university or a highschool final average grade/standing??

• 10 months later...
Guest redshifteffect

Hey I attend medical school in Tasmania! And let me tell you that you don't need an entrance exam. This is only for local students, I didn't even require an MCAT since I'm a school leaver (fresh highschool grad) I didn't even bother waiting to apply to Canada.

If you really want to go to Tasmania I know the "dean" of admissions...well he's a prof that has the most influence on the admissions process. I will be willing to give you his email address, but only if you are serious about admissions.

• 1 month later...
Guest Monica777

Hey

Im interested in applying as u did...right out of highschool.

Hows Tasmania? are u finding the school difficult since u didnt do an undergraduate? what do they look at for admissions? what are the requirements?

Can u please give me some info on how this works.

what did u have to do...etc.?

thanks for ur help!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest RunMD

Hey Anon,

I was accepted to sydney last year with 28S; they weigh your GPA with heavier emphasis on later years. I hear they have about 30 internationals in the class. hope that helps you out!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest redshifteffect

Hey monica,

sorry for delay i've been busy with classes. Anyway it's pretty good here and the admissions process depends on where you come from and what your marks are. I didn't need any interviews because I had a 96% graduating average from OACs in Ontario. However I know for a fact that you can get in on much less marks, but sadly i am the only "school leaver" here. Most of the Canadians are 4 year degree holders.

if you have any further questions: zeshan1@hotmail.com

cheers.

Archived