Premed 101 Forums

imp/northern switching to vfmp, vice versa?

Congrats to everyone who got in!!

A few of my friends and me included are super excited about getting into UBC this year. But at the same time we are a bit disappointed in not getting our first choice.

I heard that once you accept the offer, your chances of switching is like pretty pretty low.

After reading the letter, I am confused by a few things. If I accept my offer, and get on the waitlist for my preferred place, what kinda of waitlist am i on?(cause it is a binding offer, and if i accept, there's gotta be something diff with the waitlist).

If I decline, and stay on the waitlist, then i am sure this waitlist will move ppl in.

Its a little confusing, but after talking to a few people, it seems as if once you accept the offer, even though you're on the waitlist, you won't get bumped in until in maybe september. So considering where I am on the waitlist, it might be good to decline, and wait. But its that makes it risky.

A bit crazy. but let me know if any one has any experience with this. or am having the same trouble. I am in the imp now, but want to go back to vancouver faser. And a friend of mine is actually in unbc but want to go to imp.

thanks!

Hmmm...interesting Hootie. I have no idea how this works, or if it is possible. But, I got into Vancouver Fraser and would like to get IMP. Vancouver was my first choice, but I only chose it because at the time, my fiance wanted to move to Vancouver, but now we have decided we like Victoria better. I wonder if they would let us switch sites with eachother??

yea i thought that imp would be still be a good choice also but now that i got in, i decided it would be better for my family and for me financially to stay in vancouver. i am going to call ubc med tomorrow to find out. and maybe we can switch! I will ask them about possibility of switching. But if they let us, I definitely wouldn't mind.

yea i thought that imp would be still be a good choice also but now that i got in, i decided it would be better for my family and for me financially to stay in vancouver. i am going to call ubc med tomorrow to find out. and maybe we can switch! I will ask them about possibility of switching. But if they let us, I definitely wouldn't mind.

I am up for finding out if it is a possibility? I kind of feel bad because I don't want them to think that I am being choosy. Honestly, I feel so extremely lucky just to get in and I would go wherever I had to, just to be accepted. But, similar to you, we really like our place in Vic and it would be better for us financially; but whatever their rules are, are their rules. It can't hurt to ask, and then go from there.....please keep me posted and if there is possibility to discuss, I'm definitely up for it. Thanks. :)

Hey Guys,

In the past, I believe mutual site switching has occurred. If both of you decide to attend UBC, speak to the faculty ASAP to get everything arranged.

This issue comes up EVERY year. For some unanticipated reason, someone wants to go to another program.

Also, everyone spends the first 4 months in Vancouver. And invariably, a few dread the prospect of going to Victoria or Prince George (or perhaps, dread staying in Vancouver). It's a tough situation.

Reasons I've heard in the past for switching include (exaggerated a bit, but you get the picture):

1) "OMG, there aren't any pediatric interventional neuro-radiologists in Prince George, and after shadowing one, I realize it's my dream to become one! I am going to be so disadvantaged if I go to PG because those guys are in Vancouver!"

2) "My husband ended up getting a job in Vancouver, even though I chose the IMP as my first choice, because we thought he was going to work in Victoria"

3) "Vancouver is noisy, the traffic is terrible, the cost of living is ridiculous, and the people are so rude...I can't believe I staying here in this hellhole."

So - it's tough. It's hard to balance what life throws at you, and what happens in your personal and social life. What I can say, after 4 years, is that the UBC faculty only allows switches for family health problems, medical reasons, (for instance, "I need my psychiatrist in Prince George" won't cut it.....it has to be more like "Vancouver offers this surgery that Prince George won't, the recovery period is quite significant, and I have to be in Vancouver to get it" is more like what the faculty would expect as a valid reason) OR you arrange a personal switch (which of course raises eyebrows, because people will argue, that whoever was higher on the rank list, should be entitled to switches...not just because you know someone).

Anyway - all of this rests in a "gray" zone. It's best to discuss this with the faculty and get the most direct and credible info from them.

Physio

1) "OMG, there aren't any pediatric interventional neuro-radiologists in Prince George, and after shadowing one, I realize it's my dream to become one! I am going to be so disadvantaged if I go to PG because those guys are in Vancouver!"

in this case, what should the student at PG do if he/she still wants to be an interventional neuro-radiologist in the future?

You do an elective in fourth year at a program you are interested in.

Switching is difficult to say the least. You better have a damn good reason or you will be ignored.

BTW, a pediatric interventional neuro radiologist would be a cool job.

So my friend called the office the other day and was told that mutual switching is not allowed (although i heard it has happened before). The admin are probably quite annoyed about this question. For those who want to switch, just hang tight on the waitlist and hope for the best.

Thanks for letting me know! And I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I also heard from a friend that there is virtually no switching between programs whatsoever; eg, no one who was originally IMP ever got into VFMP from their year.

Hope this clears things up for any others hoping to move. It's time for me to get used to bunnies. :)

Archived