Premed 101 Forums

Rejected? There's hope!

Didn't make it in this year? Don't freak out....

I apped to UBC in 2003 when I was still in my first degree. Rejected pre-interview.

I apped last year in the middle of my second degree. Rejected pre-interview.

This year I was accepted. It was the first year I got an interview, and I got my first choice of program site. My grades are roughly 82% in my final 2 years and my MCAT was fair.

I would like to second several posts I have read so far. Do not give up. Determination and perseverance are signs of dedication to a life choice... and becoming a doctor is a life choice, not a career.

Who cares if you take a year, or two, or three to get in. Think of it as a blessing. Time to do the things you will never get to do after you start studying and working. Since my first rejection, I've been to Africa twice, among other things.

I know some of you are thinking right now "easy for him to say", but it's the truth. If you really want it, they CAN'T keep you out.

Good luck to all for next year's application, and thanks to everyone for posting on this board. Certainly helped me in many stages of my applications over the years.

thanks talmeth.. it means a lot to those who were rejected.. ofcourse that includes me.. I got rejected first time pre-interview, and this time, post-interview.. as for me, I am getting really old, finished my undergrad and grad degree at UT, did two years of UBC dentistry before deciding medicine is what I wish to do. It is just hard for me to stay positive as my parents and many of my friends think that I am out of my mind.. well, it is a bitter pill for me to swallow.. nevertheless, congrat to those who get accepted.. and good luck to those who get rejected this year, lets work harder towards our goal..

Hey DMD,

You say you are "really old", I'll be 28 this September and starting first year med at UBC if that is any comfort.

My point is, what is a couple of years when it is your life long goal.

Keep your head up and do try again.

All the best!

Hello DMD,

I think I understand what you are going through.

It is a good thing that you have realized that you don't like dentistry, before you waste more time on that.

I know it is hard to get rejected the 2nd time by the school, although you have gone through most of the Med courses at UBC. It may seem that your classmates in Med are going to 4th year and you are trying to get in. However, with your persistence, you will get in one day. As you may have known, the oldest guy in your class is 42 yr old when he started first year. I think you still have chance. Also, see if you can consider schools other than UBC as well.

Just want to show my support

hi jumper and flow cytometry. thank you so much for the support.. I am actually 28 already and at this point in life, self confidence and hope seems to fade away faster than before. In addition, I start to question myself where does persistence ends and stupidity starts, am I being too naive to hope that things would eventually work out at the end..

In a way, i can see why we are thinking between stupidity and persistence. But you may also remember the fact that applying to medical schools can take multiple years for many people. As long as you have something going on in the mean time, you are not wasting your life.

The fact that you got interview this year means that you are close.

thanks talmeth.. it means a lot to those who were rejected.. ofcourse that includes me.. I got rejected first time pre-interview, and this time, post-interview.. as for me, I am getting really old, finished my undergrad and grad degree at UT, did two years of UBC dentistry before deciding medicine is what I wish to do. It is just hard for me to stay positive as my parents and many of my friends think that I am out of my mind.. well, it is a bitter pill for me to swallow.. nevertheless, congrat to those who get accepted.. and good luck to those who get rejected this year, lets work harder towards our goal..

hey DMD, would you recommend someone do a grad degree for someone rejected post interview? which means I won't be able to apply next year...

My rural role model was a doctor up North who went to medical school at the age of 41 after being a successful logger for 15 years.

I'm 27 myself, having been rejected twice before and got accepted this year.

Age is only an issue if YOU make it one. No-one else cares... all they see is you working hard to achieve a goal.

There is a strong despair among people who think that not getting accepted is waste of time/money. All of us would like to get in right away. It seems older folks just want to compare their state to those who are getting in at ages of 21-22. Just know that life experience counts for something, if it's harder to get in, it will be a more cherished experience, when you get in. And I echo with talmeth's post that you'll get in if you really want it. Persistence is everything. As Randy Pausch said the walls are not there to stop you from achieving your goals but to weed out those that don't want it bad enough.

Say you try again (which you really should) and say you start school at the age of 30. You will start practicing at ~40. Your colleagues might be 32-35 (the majority at least). You will practice for 25-30 years while others might do it for 35-40 years. In the long run it is worth it.

A cardiologist I know did his MD in a developing country, went to Britain and did all their qualifications, came to States and after doing their qualifications got into for Harvard for Fellowship in Cardiology, came to Canada and did all the other qualification tests. Initially as a surgeon and now specializing in non-invasive cardiology he said he was forced to get more surgical training but just couldn't do it anymore. So he opted out doing what he is doing now at the age of 45 (he started practicing at age 40). Everyone is unique, don't see the world through the eyes of others.

Having received so many words of encouragements really mean a lot to me. And it truly made my life more bearable at the moment. Thank you all of you for your support. I will continue to work hard to achieve my goal and hopefully success will come one day.

• 1 month later...

talmeth

I was wondering if you dont mind posting:

what degree you first did

the second degree you did

and your gpa for both degrees.

and why did you pursue another degree instead of a masters.

im asking this because I have failed 3 courses at ubc. my gpa is 68% at the moment i would assume. In general science at the moment

and it's starting to look dark.

im now considering another 4 years for another undergrad or another 3 years for a master

im also consider waiting 10 years well less than that when my prereq expire and try again at age 31. to increase my prereq mark which is 68.7%

but sometimes i wonder...when do i stop?

thanks you are an inspiration

have u completed all your pre-reqs? if you failed any of those, obviously you'll have to do them again. a master's won't help you...you should do another degree to bring up your overall and last-60 avg's. they won't even consider you if your overall avg is below 70%..i'd say if you bring it up to around at least 75% and have really good ec's, then you'll have a chance. don't worry about your pre-req avg..you can't change it at this point if you've done them all..and some ppl have gotten in with pre-req avg's like yours. if you use the 10-yr rule on your pre-req courses, you'll have to take them again. so do at least a couple more years of school (aim for 85+%) and if you meet the mcat cutoffs for oop schools, definitely apply to places like uwo, dal, queens which forgive poor past performance...so probably will have an easier time getting in there once u meet the cutoffs.

ps: have a look in the accepted/rejected/waitlisted thread for some ppl who've gotten in with somewhat mediocre stats

My rural role model was a doctor up North who was a successful logger for 15 years.

Hehehe... just trying to picture what an "unsuccessful logger" is. Trees don't exactly run away when you try to cut 'em down :D

I always get upset at my friends who don't bother applying to Canadian schools because their GPA is "too low" or their MCAT "sucks." They don't know what goes on in admissions committee rooms - every year people get in with horrible grades, because the adcom has seen something in their application worth admitting.

As well, it pays to be persistent. In the roll of the dice that makes up most of the admissions process, it's only a matter of time. There are people in my class who applied 4 or even 5 times to be admitted.

My best advice is do NOT give up!!!

Archived