Premed 101 Forums

Procrastination

If any one could help me with this it’s been a disease all through my learning life. I procrastinate and do it bad, a full semesters of work in a weeks time. All my courses seem to end up like that. I don’t fail or anything but my grades are nothing to hoot about, Low C’s and B’s. A week before the exam I study like mad thus avoid failing also forgoing any shots at professional school.

Every new term I am determined not to repeat my last semester’s antics but even if I do force my self and sit in a quiet room to study I would probably stare at the first paragraph for hours straight. It’s bad enough to the point I think I may have a learning disability.

The worse thing is I can only make my self learn by reading the course book on my own. lectures and tutors are hopeless. Is there any way I can condition my behavior?

If any one could help me with this it’s been a disease all through my learning life. I procrastinate and do it bad, a full semesters of work in a weeks time. All my courses seem to end up like that. I don’t fail or anything but my grades are nothing to hoot about, Low C’s and B’s. A week before the exam I study like mad thus avoid failing also forgoing any shots at professional school.

Every new term I am determined not to repeat my last semester’s antics but even if I do force my self and sit in a quiet room to study I would probably stare at the first paragraph for hours straight. It’s bad enough to the point I think I may have a learning disability.

The worse thing is I can only make my self learn by reading the course book on my own. lectures and tutors are hopeless. Is there any way I can condition my behavior?

Go see your school counselor.

B's and C's will definitely not cut it for med school. I think your problem might be that you're not determined enough. After a sh1tty first year, I realized that if I didn't change my bad habits, I'd soon become a failure in life. That fear drove me to earn some decent grades and then a few interviews.

My advice is to find joy in studying. If you enjoy the process of learning then you will find a new dimension to being a student.

It's very easy to be overly critical of yourself so forgive yourself and do something that will spin you around into the right direction.

Faith in the community that you are situated in helps as well. I assume that those with immaculate grades are too busy studying to cast judgement on people who haven't been decided enough in the medical field.

I'm a mediocre student as well, I was distracted by the world that bloomed infront of me when I entered University. I can't help but be poetic about it.

So, toughen up and have fun with your studies.

thing is cisran, how badly do you want it?

After 8 years of undergraduate education, I have come to the conclusion that I may have some kind of attention deficit, after having worked with students with actual diagnosed ADD. That said, when I went to do my second degree, I told myself to suck it up and really try.

I did a couple of things that worked:

1.) I broke up my studying into little bits over a longer period of time - so I would study my lectures in 30 min increments over a period of a week after the lecture, and I would give myself 5 min breaks when my attention started to wander.

2.) I made notes in duplicate with all the important definitions, etc on the page, and I would carry it around with me and read it periodically wherever I was so for eg. waiting at the dr's office I would whip out the notes I had to study.

3.) I made myself a schedule and stuck to it - so I'd literally pencil in study time for each thing - again, in small increments with breaks - and that made the difference between B's in my first degree and A+'s in my second.

Hope this helps somewhat... I do feel for you but in the end, you have to take responsibility one way or the other!

M

Thanks all and Momo,Yeh ive already arranged an advising appointment and may have to redo first year, aghh. But yeh i didnt know i wanted this so bad till i lost it. Can i add any of you on msn or facebook. My names Cisran and i'm yorkU. You can search for me on facebook just type cisran. Thanks again.

:)

I'll post in this thread later...

I almost used that joke.

I've held some pretty lame jobs when I was in high school, and those summers toiling away scared me plenty into working hard to achieve the things I wanted.

That's a good point. Cisco you need to realize just how terrible it is to be stuck working a dead-end job for the rest of your life. Hopefully then you'll realize just how good you have it and not let it go to waste. Fear can help you.

Archived