Premed 101 Forums

Global Health Initiative

Hi,

Can anyone comment on the Global Health Initiative at UBC?

I am specifically interested in when most people go on these electives and for how long. Also, what sort of support in finding electives and how much financial support in available.

Thanks,

Matt

I am part of the UBC GHI team - both this year and last. The trip options are: 1) India - Spiti Valley 2) Honduras and 3) Kenya - the "Brighter Smiles Project"

Each trip is organized, managed and financed independently. The amount of financing available depends on how much you fund raise etc. UBC Medicine does not provide any funding, and merely provides administrative overhead (i.e. hoops). Some projects get funding from UBC's TLEF grant, as well as other grant sources. All the projects share significant commonality in terms of mission statements etc. because we all work under the GHI umbrella.

I should mention, that apart from the physicians who serve in an advisory capacity, the entire project is student led, directed, created, organized and executed. It's an incredible thing to be a part of and it's been one of the best things I've been involved in.

Generally people go on these projects between June and August. Last year I was gone for all three of those months. It was awesome.

If you'd like to get involved, you'll need to submit an application in November. I'm also pretty sure that all the projects will be interviewing their applicants, if interest remains as strong as it did last year.

Hey,

There might be a website, but I'm not aware of it. If there is a website, I'm pretty sure it will not have applications available.

ReLaX. You'll have plenty of time to fill it out once the year starts. There will be emails. Many many emails. Memo's too :) So don't sweat it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived