Premed 101 Forums

"Medically related" experience

for medically related experience - they are looking for interactions with patients. volunteering at a hospital doesnt really count if all you do is stand at the giftshop.

- working with people with special needs counts

- health promotion is a good thing to get into but i dont know if it'll count as medically related experience

i volunteered in a nursing home where i interacted with patients and medical professionals. maybe you can look into that?

hmm MCAT..i *think* it counts for 10% of the overall score...i'm not sure though because they didnt give us the score breakdown when i applied. dal looks for well-rounded applicants so a stellar score isn't going to help you get in and a borderline score isn't going to keep you out.

If you go by the traditional "medically related" I had essentially none, and I was accepted as an OOP. If you search the old Dal acceptances thread, my stats are in there.

Medically related stuff is nice to have, but not crucial. The most important this is to show how your experiences make you a strong candidate and a better physician. Essentially you want to argue that you strongly fill all the CANMEDS competencies.

Archived