Premed 101 Forums

Quitting my M.Sc.

I'm really not enjoying my work in the lab. Maybe it's because I'm on the waitlist and a little depressed but everytime I think about doing school work, I feel zero motivation. I have no intention of pursuing a PhD; I just want an MD.

I'm not funded so my supervisor is paying me out of his grant money. He's a really nice guy and I am grateful to him for taking me in but I'm simply unhappy in the lab.

Has anyone been on a similar boat? What's your story?

What are the consequences for you and your supervisor if you quit?

Wait. Are you almost done your MSc? If yes, just finish writing the damn thesis (that's what I'm doing now and it's SOOO SLOOWWW) and defend! And you don't need to do the phd if you don't want to, but I would definitely finish the MSc if I were you.

On the other hand, I am loving grad school and kind of wish grad school would go on. I am really contemplating on doing my phd now. I'm a dork.

Why are you unhappy in the lab?

Wait. Are you almost done your MSc? If yes, just finish writing the damn thesis (that's what I'm doing now and it's SOOO SLOOWWW) and defend! And you don't need to do the phd if you don't want to, but I would definitely finish the MSc if I were you.

On the other hand, I am loving grad school and kind of wish grad school would go on. I am really contemplating on doing my phd now. I'm a dork.

Why are you unhappy in the lab?

I just started last Sept. I wouldn't be here if all I had to do was write up.

There's not one thing that I'm particularly unhappy about in the lab. I don't like enjoy the work, I don't care about the work, I don't find it rewarding at all, I feel like I'm doing this work for my supervisor and not myself, and it feels like a waste of time.

Hey Tooty,

Don't give up. I know the days seem that much longer being on the waiting list (been there for the last three years) but why give up when you've already put so much effort into your M.Sc? I had no intention of pursuing a Ph.D either, but just remember that the applicable skills you are learning now will be invaluable in medical school. As for advice, try to stay focussed on the prize and know that each academic endeavour your complete or volunteer opportunity you engage yourself in makes you that much better of a candidate. As a side note, how would it look on your application if you dropped out of your M.Sc? Pretty bad I would assume. On the flip side, certain schools (ex: NOSM - 0.2 GPA bonus, Ottawa - Different Stream, U of T - Different Evaluation, MAC - 0.01 bonus, U of C - looks at grad grades, etc...) give a boost to your GPA or put you in different pools if you have completed your masters.

So coming from a person who has completed 2 undergrads and an M.Sc (and FINALLY got into medical school), the lab days will seem long, and the thesis writing days will seem even longer, but despite the fact that you think you may be lying in a ditch....I can see your eyes are in the stars.

Keep your chin up.

Doc.V

Archived