Premed 101 Forums

Laptop Program for 2008-2009

Hey guys, I saw last year's thread saying they were using the IBM X61 notpad, anyone know what this year's computer is? (the medtech site is down because of a domain name change from medicine to intermed...) and whether the laptop program is optional or mandatory? thanks!

It's mandatory, and this year's computer will be the same or a newer model of the notepad.

Depending on your economic situation you may be eligible for a 3k bursary to cover the cost of the laptop. Basically if you have zero dollars (or almost zero dollars) to your name, you're a shoe in. You just have to apply for OSAP.

oh ya.. it's not as if IBM has a monopoly on the software used in the UOttawa program.

I guess the big question is do you want to have to deal with tech problems yourself if they do arise? My position, even though I'm pretty computer savy, is that I'd rather be putting my effort into learning medicine or having a personal life instead of trouble shooting. I'd rather let the IT department at UOttawa med do the trouble shooting for me on a standardized platform. I hear they're pretty good at it too.

yah the prices are kinda steep for notebooks - but the "education" (aka laptop) bursary basically covers it. the sweet thing is definitely the repair coverage - they'll fix anything (even if its ur fault) from cracked cases to sticky keyboards to burnt out motherboards. you take it in, you get a loaner while yours is getting fixed, and they let you know when it's ready to pick up - no questions asked.

THAT said - you don't HAVE to get the laptop through school, you can opt-out but your laptop has to be PC cause the pbl software doesn't run on macs (maybe it does on the new OS? i dunno)

oh ya.. it's not as if IBM has a monopoly on the software used in the UOttawa program.

I guess the big question is do you want to have to deal with tech problems yourself if they do arise? My position, even though I'm pretty computer savy, is that I'd rather be putting my effort into learning medicine or having a personal life instead of trouble shooting. I'd rather let the IT department at UOttawa med do the trouble shooting for me on a standardized platform. I hear they're pretty good at it too.

If you are not good at computers then medtech is better than nothing.

BUT I in my experience they are not particularly good at what they do...could be alot better.

Their solution to problems is to wipe clean your computer and reinstall everything. Needless to say, who wants that!

For example, I had a virus that my antiviral program couldn't take care of. They wanted to just reinstall everything. Not appreciating this solution I let my bf (who is a computer engineer) have a look. It took him a few hours but he was able to figure out a program to get rid of my virus without losing all my stuff.

Exact same situation also happened with a friend who's bf was an engineer also.

We never bring our computers in to medtech now.

Of course if I didn`t have my bf, I would have no choice, cause I dont know enough about computers to fix them myself.

But thankfully, I am not in that situation cause I would have lost my stuff on more than one occassion.

They are convenient though since they are in the same building, they are nice in general, and seem to be handy with repairs and such when things break.

Personally, I highly dislike the Lenovo tablet.

Class of 2012, consider yourself lucky.

And I agree with Satsuma. Medtech isn't great. It's better to go to them for mechanical problems (I think half of our class needed the casing replaced; I definitely did).

Everything else I could figure out myself WITHOUT having to reinstall my entire system.

If you think you know enough about computers (or you know someone who does), I would highly recommend getting a laptop that you really like (that would be compatible with the school's software) rather than laying down almost $3000 for a crappy computer (which I consider the Lenovos to be; perhaps these new Dell ones are better).

And I believe that the education bursary is for everyone who qualifies, whether or not they get the school's laptop.

Personally, I highly dislike the Lenovo tablet.

Class of 2012, consider yourself lucky.

And I agree with Satsuma. Medtech isn't great. It's better to go to them for mechanical problems (I think half of our class needed the casing replaced; I definitely did).

Everything else I could figure out myself WITHOUT having to reinstall my entire system.

If you think you know enough about computers (or you know someone who does), I would highly recommend getting a laptop that you really like (that would be compatible with the school's software) rather than laying down almost $3000 for a crappy computer (which I consider the Lenovos to be; perhaps these new Dell ones are better).

And I believe that the education bursary is for everyone who qualifies, whether or not they get the school's laptop.

Why do you dislike the Lenovo tablet? I tend to hold IBM/Lenovo in high regard since they are know to be fairly solid machines, but I could be wrong. Just wondering since I am in the market for a new computer.

This X41 we got is so incredibly slow and the only fix is to format it. It honestly takes 5-10 minutes for it to boot up. The casing is all cracked. My pen no longer clicks into it's slot so now it's missing.

I'd suggest buying a tablet laptop from somewhere else (3000+ is ridiculous) and get the PBL programs loaded on. I would strongly urge you to purchase a Tablet PC of some form (the writing on powerpoint slides is very useful for the mechanism slides with arrows everywhere).

On the other hand, I've found Medtech to be quite helpful. Although I can fix any problem with my computer I'd rather drop it off and get a loaner for a few days while they fix it up. I've gone through a HD and Motherboard; both of which they fixed (lost ALL my data) but had a Tablet PC loaner the entire time.

And then there was the debauchle about the batteries.... I'm not even going there.

So take everything you've read here and make an informed choice for what works for you.

This X41 we got is so incredibly slow and the only fix is to format it. It honestly takes 5-10 minutes for it to boot up. The casing is all cracked. My pen no longer clicks into it's slot so now it's missing.

I'd suggest buying a tablet laptop from somewhere else (3000+ is ridiculous) and get the PBL programs loaded on. I would strongly urge you to purchase a Tablet PC of some form (the writing on powerpoint slides is very useful for the mechanism slides with arrows everywhere).

On the other hand, I've found Medtech to be quite helpful. Although I can fix any problem with my computer I'd rather drop it off and get a loaner for a few days while they fix it up. I've gone through a HD and Motherboard; both of which they fixed (lost ALL my data) but had a Tablet PC loaner the entire time.

And then there was the debauchle about the batteries.... I'm not even going there.

So take everything you've read here and make an informed choice for what works for you.

Where could you get the PBL programs? Can you get them from Medtech or buy them elsewhere?

Where could you get the PBL programs? Can you get them from Medtech or buy them elsewhere?

I think Medtech can give you the software; the school needs to you have them so I'm sure they won't withhold it from you.

I agree with everything Talon said other than Medtech being overly helpful. I guess it's easier to just drop off your computer and get a loaner, but I was never comfortable with their "let's just re-install everything!" solution to computer problems.

In retrospect I must say the X41 has been a disappointment in terms of what the school charged for it. I will tell you right now that any "deal" medtech says they have on software or hardware, it is generally no deal at all. These laptops are no exception. You can buy the exact same laptop with the exact same specs from the US for a considerably lower cost.

I am quite computer savvy and I've helped many people in my class with issues before telling them to go to medtech. If it's something that will take more than 15 or 20 minutes to fix, then I generally tell them to go to medtech. The problem with the folks at medtech is they are really not trained properly to troubleshoot some of the issues that come up. If they can't figure something out, their backup plan is to simply restore the image of windows using norton ghost. Windows XP/Vista are by no means without their problems, but very rarely do you have to reinstall an entire operating system to fix a problem.

I do agree that having the laptop under warranty for 4 years is quite good, mainly because with these laptops you'll need them. I've been fortunate enough to have nothing go wrong with mine in 2 years, and I still have decent battery life. I am the minority though, most everybody I know has had some sort of issue with their laptop, ranging from replaced motherboards and hard drives to getting a whole new unit.

The concept of a tablet is beneficial for taking notes, but I think it depends on the person. I would be quite happy with a regular laptop, but again that is my own preference. If you are adamant about getting a tablet, I would buy a higher quality one from HP or compaq for half the price and worry about problems as they arise.

Archived