Premed 101 Forums

arts options at U of A

So I know this question has been asked a few times, but for other schools.

I'm going into second year honors physiology, and have no idea what arts courses to pick. I've already taken Soc 100 and I'm registered for Philosophy of Health Care. My program has approved arts options, but not a lot look interesting. I'm wondering if anyone has taken Philosophy of Health Care or Sociology of Health and Illness, and what they have to say about it, or if they have any other suggestions for interesting arts courses.

Thanks.

Soc of health and illness is a great class, but get ready to read the textbook if you get Alison Dunwoody as your prof (she is a very good prof though). I just finished 2nd year of physiology and you can usually take the arts option you want if you go talk to your advisor.

I just graduated with honors Neuroscience from the U of A. I took as much psych as I could to fill my arts options and really enjoyed those. I also highly recommend taking a bioethics course, that helped me immensely when it came time for med school interviews! I took CHRTC 352 through St. Joe's college, which looked at the catholic and christian perspectives mainly as well as those from some other religions and philosophies, but I think that there is a philosophy bioethics course as well which would probably also be really good!

I totally endorse CHRTC 352 as well, and I'm not catholic. It teaches many different standpoints, and obviously requires you to learn some about the religious standpoint too, but it is an open discussion class and welcomes varying views.

Reeaaaally good prep for medical school two. I'd have it on my short list for premed musts along with ANAT 200 and PHYSL 210/211

I am also interested in taking a bioethics course next year. How competitive are PHIL 386/CHRTC 352? Its sounds like the class is going be full of keeners. Is it usually curved? Is taking the course much more helpful than reading a bioethics book?

I am also interested in taking a bioethics course next year. How competitive are PHIL 386/CHRTC 352? Its sounds like the class is going be full of keeners. Is it usually curved? Is taking the course much more helpful than reading a bioethics book?

CHRTEC 352 was not really competitive at all, it was an easy A+ in my opinion! It may or may not be more helpful than reading a bioethics book, but there was lots of whole class, small group and online discussion which you can't get from reading a book. There was one midterm, one paper and one final. The midterm and finals were super easy, because the professor basically tells you exactly what is going to be on the exam beforehand, and there is choice in the long answer questions, most of which are case studies which you will have already discussed in class. I enjoyed the paper because it was only 5 pages and you were free to choose whatever topic related to bioethics you wanted, and take any position on it.

Archived