Premed 101 Forums

Co-op student with terrible GPA.

1) So from what I have read... at the moment the GPA cutoff is 3.7. What I don't understand..or maybe i am very shocked...is how some of you guys get a 4.0 gpa. Does it mean you got 4.0/ 4.0 so you had a 100% in every class?

or does 4.0 mean A/ A+ as long as you got a A it means you are at 4.0

3.7/4 = 92.5% so you NEED a 92.5% average.

OR

while a 3.7 means A- as long as you get A- average then you meet the cut off.

because at my school 80% = A- if I get an 80% avg does that mean i meet the cut off of 3.7/4 or i MUST get a 92.5% avg?

2) I am a co-op student and was told that because of being a co-op student I am required to have:

at least 1 year of 30 credit hours that meets the min GPA + we will take one term in the regular academic year

(September-December or January-April) with a full course load which

meets the minimum GPA...

i dont have the policy of greater than 3.7 avg and look into current year if u only have one year at the moment that is above the min gpa. avg.

for co-op 1year + .5 year must be greater than 3.7

IS a full course load = 15 credits then?

3)

This is my plan:

sept2008 -april 2009 = 1 year 30 credits

May 2009 - December 2009 = co-op

JAn 2010 - april 2010 = 1 full course term load ( 15 credits)

May 2010 - July 2010 finish 2 more courses to graduate.

At this time I can apply to the school and technically i would have finished my graduate degree and they would only consider my bolded years/ terms right?

this technically should make sense right?

4) i dont think anyone can answer this but i'll ask anyway

UWO says you need to have 60% of the courses correlating to the current school year you are in.

as a co-op student i have a very messed up schedule. i have only complete part of 3rd year 1st term. when i start school in sept 2008 i am finishing 3rd year

the problem is

sept 2008 - december 2008 is technically the second half of 3rd year

jan 2009 - april 2009 is the 1st part of year 4

---> but we all know that some courses for the second part of year 3 is only offered in the second half of the year so I must take year 3 courses here ...so then i can't meet the 60% requirement of year 4 classes because I am actually finishing up my part 2 of year 3 here

jan 2010 - april 2010 is the 2nd part of year 4

that means it will be very hard for me to do the 60% requirement....how does this work then?

well thanks everyone and good luck.

phew~

First of all your GPA conversion ideas are way off. Go to the OMSAS website and you will find the GPA conversion table. With this you can figure out your GPA and what a 3.7 means.

As to your other questions I think the school mentions that as a co-op student you should contact them and they will give you the required information.

Archived