Premed 101 Forums

finishing MSc while in meds

anyone done this? i'm starting @ u of c in july and won't have written my thesis by then.

is it feasible to try and finish during the year? or will i go crazy and kill myself?

(i know it's a dumb question, but i'm looking for people who did/tried to do something similar)

anyone done this? i'm starting @ u of c in july and won't have written my thesis by then.

is it feasible to try and finish during the year? or will i go crazy and kill myself?

(i know it's a dumb question, but i'm looking for people who did/tried to do something similar)

Hi there,

I finished my MSc. while in UofC meds and I wouldn't recommend it (plus, according to UofC, it's not technically allowed). A lot of the time I felt a little of the jack-of-all-trades-syndrome, i.e., it was difficult to concentrate properly on one degree because of commitments to the other. In hindsight, I'd do my utmost to complete the graduate degree before entering medicine.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

thanks kirsteen,

that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I have the same fears, that I will find it tough to focus on one degree. As for the technical issues, I've been reminded of this by the admissions dept. too... :P

don't think I can be done before I go...just a bit too much work to do in the next month.

cheers!

thanks kirsteen,

that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I have the same fears, that I will find it tough to focus on one degree. As for the technical issues, I've been reminded of this by the admissions dept. too... :P

don't think I can be done before I go...just a bit too much work to do in the next month.

cheers!

I bet that deep down - you fee like "who cares! i'm starting med school!!, la la la la"...lol.

I finished my thesis after I started Med School. I had a pretty accommodating supervisor, so it made life a lot easier. I had all my research done by the time I started classes. I basically worked on the thesis off and on durin the year and then defended at the start of summer after first year. I had already done a good portion of the writing prior to school starting.

some days, but it's usually followed by "you've worked hard on this, why just give it up." then usually by "if you give it up, will there be long term consequences?" is a year or so of misery worth the long term benefits (better match?)

true - it will no doubt help you in CaRMS if you are applying to the research intensive programs. Same goes for fellowships down the line even further :)

Hey there,

Not sure what stage you are at in your MSc, but I think it's do-able to finish in med. I am planning to do it, but U of M is quite lenient regarding the process and I can register in both programs until I finish. I am done my research (essentially) and I have a good chunk of my thesis finished already, that being said I still have lots of work to do and you need to take into account the time required for your supervisor and committee to correct it. I think it's wise to do as much writing as possible before you start, and if you're not even finished the bulk of your work yet - then maybe you need to start seriously considering a deferral...Hopefully you've already at least got a good start on your thesis, if you can get a good draft finished before you start I would say you'll be fine. Good luck! Let me know how it goes for you!

Obviously kgregg isn't interested in a deferral, which is totally sound. (From what I hear about first year med school, it's entirely possible to get other stuff done - remember that some people go through med school raising families/working jobs/finishing masters degrees...etc...)

And since you asked, Sutler, I think that someone would consider a deferral if they really enjoyed their research and understood the value of it as something separate from med school. Med school is there a year later with a deferral - it's not disappearing into the ether.

There's also the matter of putting a lot of time and energy into something and then not completing it - which can be kind of devastating. It sounds like kgregg is far enough along for this not to be an issue.

Just my two cents!

Obviously kgregg isn't interested in a deferral, which is totally sound. (From what I hear about first year med school, it's entirely possible to get other stuff done - remember that some people go through med school raising families/working jobs/finishing masters degrees...etc...)

And since you asked, Sutler, I think that someone would consider a deferral if they really enjoyed their research and understood the value of it as something separate from med school. Med school is there a year later with a deferral - it's not disappearing into the ether.

There's also the matter of putting a lot of time and energy into something and then not completing it - which can be kind of devastating. It sounds like kgregg is far enough along for this not to be an issue.

Just my two cents!

i wish I could say that I was far enough. After getting nowhere talking to the grad program admin, I decided to pull the plug. Thanks to everyone who offered info and advice. It seemed like there were going to be far too many hurdles to overcome to make it happen. Other circumstances, and it may have, but the stars just didn't align.

Good luck to anyone else in the same boat, or other similar situations.

all the best!

KRG

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm a bit late on this thread... but, I thought we weren't allowed to apply if the Masters wasn't complete (or going to be by a certain date)?

Is this school specific?

I'm currently in the middle of this as well since I start my Masters in the fall and still want to apply this year. My program can be switched to part-time, and honestly isn't going to require 100hrs + a week. Plus, I know it sounds awful, but I would drop it to get into meds (it's coursed base with NP option).

So, can we apply if we know we won't be complete? Do we have to state we are even in the Masters program? (I still be working part-time as an ER RN so my app won't be empty).

I know it sounds bad, but do I really have to tell them I'm in a Masters? It seems like such a different process when it's a course-based program. I feel like it's closer to another undergrad than a grad degree. I wouldn't be pulling out of a lab, and no one would lose but me (and my tuition). There are no publications, presentations, etc, and so my grad app would be empty anyway. People drop out of degrees all the time (family, moving, etc), so I don't think it would be a huge problem for the faculty (unlike a research prof who has funding for you).

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Chrail

I know I'm a bit late on this thread... but, I thought we weren't allowed to apply if the Masters wasn't complete (or going to be by a certain date)?

Is this school specific?

I'm currently in the middle of this as well since I start my Masters in the fall and still want to apply this year. My program can be switched to part-time, and honestly isn't going to require 100hrs + a week. Plus, I know it sounds awful, but I would drop it to get into meds (it's coursed base with NP option).

So, can we apply if we know we won't be complete? Do we have to state we are even in the Masters program? (I still be working part-time as an ER RN so my app won't be empty).

I know it sounds bad, but do I really have to tell them I'm in a Masters? It seems like such a different process when it's a course-based program. I feel like it's closer to another undergrad than a grad degree. I wouldn't be pulling out of a lab, and no one would lose but me (and my tuition). There are no publications, presentations, etc, and so my grad app would be empty anyway. People drop out of degrees all the time (family, moving, etc), so I don't think it would be a huge problem for the faculty (unlike a research prof who has funding for you).

Hey chrail,

I was in a similar situation to you 2 yrs ago. I was starting my masters (with NP option) and still wanted to apply to med. Not every school states that you have to have a completed masters prior to entrance to med (at least this is not the case with Mac anyways). So I did end up applying the year I started my masters and was waitlisted for an interview. Unfortunately, I did not receive an interview that year, but if I had, and hypothetically gotten in, I would have dropped out of my masters program since it was a 2 yr program. This would have been ok (for Mac anyways - check the requirements for other schools). If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)

Hey chrail,

I was in a similar situation to you 2 yrs ago. I was starting my masters (with NP option) and still wanted to apply to med. Not every school states that you have to have a completed masters prior to entrance to med (at least this is not the case with Mac anyways). So I did end up applying the year I started my masters and was waitlisted for an interview. Unfortunately, I did not receive an interview that year, but if I had, and hypothetically gotten in, I would have dropped out of my masters program since it was a 2 yr program. This would have been ok (for Mac anyways - check the requirements for other schools). If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)

how did your PI feel?

Archived