Premed 101 Forums

Low OSAP estimate - please help

Hey All,

I just filled out my OSAP for medicine starting in the Fall. My estimate was only $8100. I'm pretty concerned about this as I hear most students get around $12,000. Also, I'm attending U of T, and I hear in order to get the $6200 grant, you have to show them you got near the maximum level of OSAP funding.

Anyone have any idea what this is caused by? I do have an NSERC USRA this summer paying $9000. I also received a $1000 bursary, so my total income for 2008 is $10,000. Other than that, I've only applied for OSAP two years ago where I received $6900 (though I put down $9900 as 3000 was a Millenium bursary). Also, my grandparents each gave me $2500 for medical school which I put in my savings account (which I guess I "stupidly" reported).

Any suggestions or help (especially for Toronto people regarding the grant) would be extremely appreciated!

If you already submitted the application it might be hard to change.

My sister once entered an amount for earned summer income and then put in an amount for her savings....which was just the money she saved from her summer job. So of course OSAP added it all and my sister didn`t get what she really should have. She tried to explain to financial aid that there was this error in how she entered the info but they would not amend it for her.

So it might be hard to fix now.

But you can always try talking to the financial aid people at your school.

Archived