Premed 101 Forums

Accommodation: UBC vs. VGH?!?

I was wondering if any upper years would be able to shed some light on where most of our courses and classes will be during our course of study at UBC. I understand that 1st yr is mostly on campus. But how about 2nd - 4th yr?!? Will we be mostly at VGH or pretty much spread out at other hospitals? Is there an area that people would recommend for both convenience and decent prices?

I'm not from Vancouver so I'm not very familiar with the area. But I would like to start thinking of places to live for the next 4 yrs.

Any suggestions / thoughts on investing in an apartment since we'll be there for 4 years?!? My thought process is that instead of paying rent for 4 yrs, might as well invest in an apartment...I haven't contacted any real estate agents for this so not sure what the process is like here, but it's just a thought.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

In 2nd year, you'll spend around 3 days a week at the diamond centre next to VGH, and 2 days at ubc. In the last 2 years, you'll be all over the place at different hospitals.

A lot of people live near VGH. Getting to ubc is pretty convenient with the b-line bus. This area is a little on the pricier side though.

As for investing in an apartment, property in vancouver right now costs an arm and a leg. Unless you happen to have a big stack of cash lying around, it's going to be tough to put down a decent down-payment and afford the interest, while trying to also pay for tuition. On a side note, it's kind of a debate right now in terms of where the vancouver real estate market is going to go. It's already slowed down compared to the past few years, and given the situation in the states, there could be a chance that prices might come down a little bit, but who knows.

In 2nd year, you'll spend around 3 days a week at the diamond centre next to VGH, and 2 days at ubc. In the last 2 years, you'll be all over the place at different hospitals.

Just to clarify, in 1st year, you spend about 3-5 days per week at UBC, fewer as the year drags on....uh, I mean, goes by. :)

Some people choose to live either at UBC or VGH for the whole time. Most, however, plan to live near or on the UBC campus in first year, then move to VGH for the start of second year.

Archived