Premed 101 Forums

hey, do you know how you get on the w/l? im oop, and i have no clue. tx!

The Pulse Generator doesn't have a waitlist. It's really difficult to get a membership as a student.. on the 2nd Friday of every month at 9:45am or so, you have to be at the Pulse to put your name in a draw. Then at 10am they draw names for a certain number of passes (usually 1 or 2 at the most) and those people have to pay for it right away. So throughout the year, only about 10 or so people will actually get a Pulse Pass.

The other options are to work in a lab or volunteer at the hospital long term in order to have one, or to buy one off of a higher year med student if they don't want/need theirs anymore.

thanks, icebox! i have a cousin, who works for capital health. if she were to apply for a membership, would she be able to hand it off to me?

To transfer it into your name you'd need proof of capital health employee status. Otherwise you could keep it in her name, but that's technically not allowed. In addition, you would not have access to the locker rooms (no cross access of cards to male/female facilities). Also, there may be other liability issues if you are injured, since you will not have signed the contract/waiver.

From what I've been told by a few profs and students, the pulse generator really only compares to the U of A main 'gym' in terms of its convenience since it's located in the UAH. However, it is actually quite small and gets quite busy.

Although our main gym is nothing to brag about, it does have most of the equipment (if not all) that any regular person will need to work out with. Plus now that the med students are in the Katz building, you're right at the intersection that leads to the main-main campus =)

Cheers! ;)

I agree that the U of A gym really isn't all that bad. The pulse is sweet in terms of convenience (24hr access vs. daytime hrs in the main gym). The pulse has everything you'd need, just less duplicates as in the U of A fitness center. The only time it's really noticably busy is over the lunch hour (I don't notice much as I'm usually there in the late evenings).

Before I had a pulse pass I was using the U of A gym but found it annoying to use the med student change rooms (I like to just keep one locker) and run across the street in the winter. Thats just me though :)

• 10 months later...

Archived