Premed 101 Forums

GPA conversion clarification

Hi,

I'm sorry for yet another stupid GPA question but I have sifted through a lot of the previous post and I just want to gauge how competitive I am before I decide to apply this year or not.

As an OOP, I get my grades alphabet style. I'm trying to convert my average into % to figure out AQ score. Should I be ignoring the 4.0 scale completely and just convert from alaphabet to % for each of my grades, or should I go grades to 4.0 scale, to %.

Also, one last question about the average for prereq. I'm just wondering where it comes into play since preinterview was determined by AQ and NAQ.

Thanks for your help!

UBC uses % marks, so just convert your alphabets to the equivalent %age. In most faculties at UBC this means taking the lower end of the %age range (e.g., A = 85 to 89, then your converted mark is 85%). I am not sure that this is what the Faculty of Med does, but many people on this message board have reported that this is the case. Also, if I remember correctly from an advising session, they do not convert individual course marks, but takes the entire average (i.e., averages of all, last 60, prereq courses).

The pre-req average is not used in the AQ but it is looked at after the interview during your complete file review. As to how much the pre-reqs weigh, no one knows for sure but I don't think it is a major component (I only had 71) and I think you can make up for a low general chem pre-req mark with a strong physical sciences score on MCAT.

Archived