Premed 101 Forums

Submitted AMCAS primary, what are my chances?

Hi Guys,

Sorry to start another thread to address such an selfish question. I'm entering my fourth year at the UofA, and my stats for the first three years is GPA: 3.99 and MCAT: 34R along with 5 Summers of Research, Piano/Voice, Hospital Volunteering and some small leadership roles in University. I applied to many Canadian schools during my third year and I've received an abundance of pre-interview rejections. I guess most pre-grad applicants are incredibly stellar in every which way. I'm going to reapply to Canadian schools, especailly UofA and UofC, but also want to give the American schools a try. I wasn't overly ambitious, so applied to these schools:

Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine

Dartmouth Medical School

Indiana University School of Medicine

Mount Sinai School of Medicine

New York Medical College

New York University

Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science

SUNY at Buffalo Medical School

The University of Vermont College of Medicine

University of Connecticut School of Medicine

Wayne State University School of Medicine

What do you think of my chances?

Any feedback, recommendations and suggestions are very welcome. Thanks for your time.

You sound like a strong applicant.

Looking at your school choices and your stats, I think you have a really high chance of getting into one of these schools.

You could apply to few more research-oriented schools if you're interested in doing more research.

You should figure out why you were rejected the first time around. Your stats should have at least given you interviews unless there either something missing in your application or there is a red flag.

If everything is fine with your app, then you will have a great shot at many of the US schools that you are applying to.

Guest begaster

Odds are he was rejected for being a third year. Not sure what the policies are outside Ontario, but third years here have a damn-near impossible time of getting in. I imagine he'll be a shoo-in this year if he reapplies.

Thanks for all of the positive response. I did receive an interview from UofA, and my rejection was mainly due to an abysmal interview. I think I should be fine for the in province schools this coming cycle, I hope I can at least secure an waitlist.

Most of the American schools is really an last ditch for me, unless its NYU, Dartsmouth or Mt. Sinai, then those are better picks as compared to UofC... at least in my opinion.

Archived