Premed 101 Forums

Special Year

Hey guys, did this change this year?

"A special year will only be considered if it contains five full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) taken between September and April. First year courses, repeat/antirequisite courses, and second-year courses that do not require a first-year prerequisite are not acceptable in the special year."

Specifically the last part. I plan on taking a 1.0 "100" level english, which is now numbered at 2000-2099.

If it's not allowed, do you guys know if i take 6.0 credits, 5.0 which are above 200 and with a "first year pre-requisite" and take the english at the 100/2000-2099 level, if then that will be okay?

Thanks

Probably. I'm guessing if you took 6.0, they would just ignore the english course. It would be best to check directly with admissions though. Are you sure you really want to take 6 courses though? It might make it harder to do well in the 5 you need. Is there a specific reason for taking the english course?

Thats a good question. I think I will be e-mailing them soon to ask them. I plan to come back for a year, buts its not a "special year" because I am getting a BA (minor) out of it, so it's a degree year and not a post-bacc year. As a result many of the courses I will be taking will be second year/3rd year with 1 or 2 first year. I will find out what I can for both of us.

alastriss- thnx

sheena- im taking the special year for 2 reasons...a) english so i can apply to alberta...B) i have a 3.70 and a 3.89....if the cutoff at western goes to 3.71 im screwed...this year is more for "insurance" in westerns case, but not for alberta...im fairly confident i can get a 3.75 in 6.0 credits, at least a 3.72

Thats a good question. I think I will be e-mailing them soon to ask them. I plan to come back for a year, buts its not a "special year" because I am getting a BA (minor) out of it, so it's a degree year and not a post-bacc year. As a result many of the courses I will be taking will be second year/3rd year with 1 or 2 first year. I will find out what I can for both of us.

Careful you don't run afoul of their policy of not considering GPAs from multiple degree programs. I sat down with an academic advisor back in December and was informed that you can declare a degree (ie. the minor) AFTER taking the courses - so next summer or later, I would suppose. This would allow you to apply this year and see how it goes, then decide how best to treat the extra years worth of courses in order to best serve your needs from that point on.

i received an email back....i asked both questions...maryanne managed to only answer one, that the english to be acceptable needs to have a pre-req,,,,which the one i want doesnt,,,thumbs up...

she didnt answer the 6.0 course load question though, good stuff...

a few policies have been approved as of may 2008....such as the rule that caught me off guard....any second year course must have a pre-requisiste....im still shocked with that rule....and the amount of work they will need to do to enforce it...check the faqs...

meh./...it has ben 3.7 the past 2 years...not sure about 3....but before that at one point it was 3.68 or something...obviously it depends on the applicant pool,,,,but i think ur safe at 3.73 if both are above that...the mcat changed a bit this year....i think they would change it to 11/10/10 before they change the gpa...and if they did raise the gpa...i doubt it would go to 3.73....i also think they would change the '1 year' rule before going very high,,,obviously not for next year though, as i think the policies for next have been set...

these are all my opinions....pure speculation and "what i would do if i were them" but im not....in any case 'meh' ur safe

i would look into ur special year and make sure no second year courses have a pre-requisite...that really, really annoys me....

as for me, im looking into a masters i may enjoy,,,, before i jump fuill ship into special year

death....i think just another year? but not sure...might have to be meet their guidlines...

haha I was thinking special year and not worried until I blew two finals in 4th year.... and then had to think damn another degree! haha but if it's what you want to do it's definitely worth it.

hey guys

lets say that im doing a fifth year (i did not choose to graduate)

would that be considered "speical year" or just another year of undergrad?

thanks

This is what I'm doing (not graduating this year and doing a fifth year of undergrad instead). I was going to do this since I thought the special year had to be part of a degree. But I can't find that on their FAQ anymore. Would it be better to graduate and return as a continuing student?

• 1 month later...

That's not a special year, that's fifth year in your 4-yr undergrad.

A special year is a year where you are registered as non-degree or special student on full time basis. You are not seeking a degree during that year, you are not following any program, and there is no academic audit report created, and only the special student academic regulations apply to you at your home university.

The downside of being in a special year is numerous, depending on your individual needs:

1/ it is hard to register in courses for which there is limited enrollment

2/ you must be in a relevant degree program before you can register in some courses

3/ you cannot take first year courses or courses that have no first year prerequisites (for UWO admission).

4/ because there are so many restrictions and because you're not following specific program requirements, you are more likely to take incoherent number of courses

5/ you are only doing it for medical school purposes, which is very limiting, for other academic purposes

6/ only one special year is acceptable to UWO

You should investigate if you REALLY NEED to do more undergraduate work, before deciding if you will embark on special, 5th year, or a second undergraduate degree. Some schools have weighting formula, best two years, last two years, and dropping a number of credits from GPA calculations. Only after any of these and you still need to beef up your undergraduate work should you look into special year, 5th year, or a second undergraduate degree.

Good luck.

hey guys

lets say that im doing a fifth year (i did not choose to graduate)

would that be considered "speical year" or just another year of undergrad?

thanks

mrgreek, first of all, the special year is a year where you are registered as a non-degree student or as a special student on full time basis.

For UWO, no first year courses or courses that have no first year prerequisites are allowed in the special year.

In your case, because you are taking 6.0 full or equivalent courses in your special year, only the 5.0 full or equivalent will be taken into account. They only take the best 5 full or equivalent courses if there is more than that in your academic year (ie overload of 5.5 or 6.0 full or equivalent courses). Because the English course you will be taking has no first year prerequisite (and it previously had a first year course code), it will not be counted in the 5 full or equivalent courses regardless if it's your best mark or not. This is for UWO. Your 1.0 credit English (depending what it is), may be able to satisfy other schools' requirements, however. So don't drop it if other schools you're applying to do want it. UWO does not have specific courses (science or English), and because you will be in special year, first year courses or courses that have no first year prerequisites will not be included in the GPA calculation for that special year.

Hey guys, did this change this year?

"A special year will only be considered if it contains five full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) taken between September and April. First year courses, repeat/antirequisite courses, and second-year courses that do not require a first-year prerequisite are not acceptable in the special year."

Specifically the last part. I plan on taking a 1.0 "100" level english, which is now numbered at 2000-2099.

If it's not allowed, do you guys know if i take 6.0 credits, 5.0 which are above 200 and with a "first year pre-requisite" and take the english at the 100/2000-2099 level, if then that will be okay?

Thanks

Archived