Premed 101 Forums

Chances? I don't have the 34+ MCAT everyone else seems to have

THX

Okay guys, it appears that almost everyone on these forums has a 34+ MCAT and it's starting to make me worried. I don't have a stellar application, simply decent grades, some clinical experience and a number of activities that I do in my spare time. Can you give me an idea if I stand a chance? I'm applying broadly in the lower-tier/mid-tier (ie. albany, indiana, vermont, etc)

GPA: 3.87, MCAT: 32R

ECs:

• Intensive Care Unit Volunteer - Managed a busy ICU waiting room (alone), dealt with drug addicts, life support withdrawals, gave surgery info etc. 1 Year and I'm continuing in September.
  • Physiotherapy Volunteer, 2 Summers
  • Katrina Hurricane Relief
  • Created a popular website (750+ million hits and over 150,000 registered members) - It's about video games though
  • Blogger
  • Fitness/Sports/Squash/10KM Runner
  • Webdesign Business
  • Investing for a number of years
  • Newsjunkie - I put it down because it's probably my biggest time sink

I think I have a few interesting experiences, but will it make up for the fact that I don't have any research or a super high MCAT?

Well, I'm not in a position to tell you whether you have a chance or not..

I'm applying this year too.

but I just want to say, I'm sure everyone has a weak spot or two on their application.

Sure, if you had publications or had higher MCAT scores, you'd have had a stronger application,

but the application cycle has begun...so what can you really do...

Just put a positive spin on everything and I think you should apply.

I have some weak spots too, so I'm also thinking about how to improve my application for next year.

Personally I think you have a stellar application. The usual standard is 3.8+ and 33+, but you're definitely up there academically. Your extracurricular profile is definitely very impressive, so I think it would really depend on the school you apply to.

considering the average for canadian matriculates is closer to 3.7, 33, you would be considered competitive. These forums are not representative of the true applicant pool. Most of us that make ourselves (and our 34+ mcat scores) known to the forum would probably give up a (metaphorical) left nut to get into med school. This drive makes us more competitive in the long run. Its definitely worth a shot.

Okay guys, it appears that almost everyone on these forums has a 34+ MCAT and it's starting to make me worried. I don't have a stellar application, simply decent grades, some clinical experience and a number of activities that I do in my spare time. Can you give me an idea if I stand a chance? I'm applying broadly in the lower-tier/mid-tier (ie. albany, indiana, vermont, etc)

GPA: 3.87, MCAT: 32R

ECs:

• Intensive Care Unit Volunteer - Managed a busy ICU waiting room (alone), dealt with drug addicts, life support withdrawals, gave surgery info etc. 1 Year and I'm continuing in September.
  • Physiotherapy Volunteer, 2 Summers
  • Katrina Hurricane Relief
  • Created a popular website (750+ million hits and over 150,000 registered members) - It's about video games though
  • Blogger
  • Fitness/Sports/Squash/10KM Runner
  • Webdesign Business
  • Investing for a number of years
  • Newsjunkie - I put it down because it's probably my biggest time sink

I think I have a few interesting experiences, but will it make up for the fact that I don't have any research or a super high MCAT?

As long as all your MCAT subsections are 10 or better, you should have a solid chance.

Make sure your secondary turnaround time is within 3 days if possible.

Archived