Premed 101 Forums

2 year GPA

Hi everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if in the case of Queen's using two years to calcualate your GPA if they will accept one year from one undergrad and the second year from another? ie. The 4th year of my first undergrad, and the first year of my second?

If not, Can I apply with the marks from the first year of my second undergrad while in the process of completing the second year of this degree and potentially receive a conditional or interview as long as the marks from the second year would put my GPA for the two years above the cutoff?

Thanks,

Steph

i emailed them a couple years back about the exact same question, and they said they'll take the last 2 completed years..doesn't matter if they're from the same program or not...but queen's isn't like western in that they won't count the year in which you're applying.

So just to confirm, if I were to come back as a continuing full time student after graduating and I applied the following year - would the 4th year of my degree + the 5th non-degree year be counted towards my 2 year GPA?

Likewise, if I were to defer graduation and do my 5th year as part of my degree, would the calculation be done in the same way as above?

• 2 weeks later...
So just to confirm, if I were to come back as a continuing full time student after graduating and I applied the following year - would the 4th year of my degree + the 5th non-degree year be counted towards my 2 year GPA?

Likewise, if I were to defer graduation and do my 5th year as part of my degree, would the calculation be done in the same way as above?

Yes, the calculation will be the same. There is no restriction that the two best and most recent years are in the same degree program. Both must be completed, however, prior to applying.

• 1 month later...
hey guys,

is the gpa cutoff 3.7 in each of the two years being considered or is 3.7 the cgpa of the two years? i couldn't find it explicitly stated on the website

Queen's sets their cut-offs (both GPA and MCAT) based on the applicant pool, such that there are the number of people who they would like to interview above the cut-offs.

In the past, the difference between the overall GPA and the 2-year GPA cut-offs has been 0.1. For 2006 and 2007, the overall GPA cut-off was 3.68 while the 2-year GPA cut-off was 3.78. The cut-offs were not posted for 2008. However, at least one person on these boards got an interview with a 2-year GPA of 3.76. Therefore, either both cut-offs decreased last year, or the split between the overall and 2-year GPA decreased or was eliminated.

Elaine

Queen's sets their cut-offs (both GPA and MCAT) based on the applicant pool, such that there are the number of people who they would like to interview above the cut-offs.

In the past, the difference between the overall GPA and the 2-year GPA cut-offs has been 0.1. For 2006 and 2007, the overall GPA cut-off was 3.68 while the 2-year GPA cut-off was 3.78. The cut-offs were not posted for 2008. However, at least one person on these boards got an interview with a 2-year GPA of 3.68. Therefore, either both cut-offs decreased last year, or the split between the overall and 2-year GPA decreased or was eliminated.

Elaine

Someone got an interview with a 2 year 3.68 last year? How did I miss that.

Not that I don't trust you but do you remember where the message was... I would be much more confident with my 3.75 going into this year. This is potentially very good news.

Not that I don't trust you but do you remember where the message was... I would be much more confident with my 3.75 going into this year. This is potentially very good news.

Sorry for the confusion. It was 3.76. However, peopel still may have received interviews with 3.75, since we only have a small sampling of people on these boards.

Elaine

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this is a border case where the overall gpa of a student applying in their 3rd year is 3.68 . Only 2 years are counted since only that many exist.

I hope this is true, since I can manage to get an interview only under this condition.

Maybe this is a border case where the overall gpa of a student applying in their 3rd year is 3.68 . Only 2 years are counted since only that many exist.

I hope this is true, since I can manage to get an interview only under this condition.

The student I was referring to had a 2-year GPA of 3.76. I corrected myself a post further down. We don't know what the specific cut-offs were last year. Thus, we don't know if that 3.76 was the lowest two-year GPA that earned an interview, or if there were people who had lower GPAs who just didn't post their stats. GPAs have never come up among our classmates, so we are just going by information posted on these forums.

As for people applying in their third year - if there are still two cut-offs, you would qualify for the overall GPA cut-off even though you only have two years of marks.

Best wishes to you.

Elaine

Archived