Premed 101 Forums

second degree students

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows specifically what Ottawa does with second degree students? Can we apply after the first year of our second degree as long as we have completed/are in the process of completing the prerequisites?

Is our GPA calculated still using our first undergrad?

Is the cutoff higher?

Any other advice or thoughts?

Thanks,

Steph

What if you are not finishing your second undergrad the year of your applications??

ie. Last year was my 4th year of my 1st undergrad, this upcoming year will be the first year of my second undergrad, and I want to apply in the fall of 09 while in the second year of that program, but not planning of finishing it by the end of 09. Can I still apply? ( i hope to not actually have to finish this degree, since it will take me 3 years to do).

Also my 3rd year from my first undergrad has only pass fail credits because it was abroad, so I have no GAP, so will they use my second year?

Thanks,

Steph

mmh pretty sure in the manual made available through omsas the UofO section states they don't accept pass or fail grades. But if you're applying during the second yr of your second degree and if you think you're a competitive candidate than can't your just tell your school to give you a baschelors (3yr.) vs. a honors (4yr) degree and just graduate....and if things don't work out then you can still go back to complete your honors...

I did a second degree and because you tend to get a lot of transfer credits or atleast 5 transfer credits from your first degree that saves you a yr.... and to complete a new degree you only need 10 credits...so you should be able to be done by yr. 2 of your 2nd degree..

but again...best people to ask are the people at uofo admissions

________

Skin problems advice

hey Steph, I think you are fine to apply this fall. You don't have to finish your 2nd degree or even your first degree as far as I'm aware. Just make sure all your years are full time and towards a degree. My friend applied after first year of her second degree and she was accepted this year and she's not done the second degree this year. Check with the admissions office, but I don't think finishing the degree matters.

Does anyone know if having 2, 4-year undergrad degrees is favoured at all by Ottawa over someone with only 1 degree? (ie - does Ottawa score your sketch greater) I know graduate work is recognized and favoured.

I ask because I believe Ottawa places a great deal of emphasis on the sketch once the WGPA has been met and am looking for any competitive edge.

Does anyone know if having 2, 4-year undergrad degrees is favoured at all by Ottawa over someone with only 1 degree? (ie - does Ottawa score your sketch greater) I know graduate work is recognized and favoured.

I ask because I believe Ottawa places a great deal of emphasis on the sketch once the WGPA has been met and am looking for any competitive edge.

The second degree probably won't score you many points specifically - BUT, having an extra 4 years of ECs/volunteering and such could certainly add a lot to your application. You've had a lot more time to rack up long-term volunteering and EC experiences, and they do like to see "big" commitments rather than a slew of one-day volunteering experiences filling up your 48 points.

• 3 weeks later...

You don't need to have your bachelor's degree conferred to be admitted. Ottawa wants 3 years of full load. Ottawa will take the most recent if you have more than 3 full years.

The difficulty of courses will also be looked at -- and this is where the "advantage" is tilted for those who are presenting 4th year senior/upper level courses on their transcripts.

There is also no requirement to have graduated from your second undergraduate degree (if you are in it), to be admitted.

Archived