Premed 101 Forums

I was thinking about it, but it's seriously difficult...I don't think it's worth my time. The problem is that UBC gives you a 25/25 AQ score if you're above a certain GPA (I think it's a 3.95 on the 4.3 scale = 85%...someone correct me if they can) so it's hard to stand out even with a phenomenal GPA. Last year they interviewed some odd 50 students out of almost 600 OOP who applied. I'd bet that almost everyone there had 25/25 on AQ with a handful of exceptions of students who had phenomenal EC's.

Your EC's have to be pretty amazing to get in too, because that's what's going to set you apart as one of the 12/50 students, all of whom have borderline perfect AQ scores.

The nice thing is that they only interview such a small fraction of those who apply so you won't have to waste your time with travelling and interviewing if you don't stand a chance.

It seems appropriate that my first post should be a response to your second question n00b. I was accepted into UBC Med 2012 as an OOP and will be attending come August.

While I most likely had 25/25 AQ score, I would disagree with Jamer that you need to have phenomenal EC's as an OOP to get an interview. I did not hold any executive positions on groups, play on a varsity team, etc.

I can't tell you exactly what UBC is looking for in OOP applicants, but I think that if you can present yourself to the admissions committee as an applicant that is a life-long learner, shows dedication (in some form), and is aware of the challenges and rewards of this profession, you'll be on the right track.

If you have any interest in UBC and have ~85% average, I would say go for it, apply. When I applied I didn't know how I would do but took the risk, and now, I'm going to UBC. I don't think your time would be wasted. At the least, you would get practice for other med school applications. (Start writing a personal statement now, so you don't have to start from scratch later on). Also, you can't say you didn't try.

Chances of actually getting into a med school where you are considered an OOP applicant will be slimmer than if you are considered IP. The benefits of the UBC application is that you don't need to get your references unless you are interviewed, and like Jamer said, "The nice thing is that they only interview such a small fraction of those who apply so you won't have to waste your time with travelling and interviewing if you don't stand a chance"

All the Best and Good luck!

I'd like to agree with Buko on this one. I was fortunate to get in this year as an OOP but I wouldn't say that I have super EC's. My advice is to spend a lot of time on your personal statement and work experiences. Make sure that it is put together well and highlights everything you have done.

Also, I hear that the OOP waitlist for UBC moves quite a bit, so the actual acceptances are well over 12.

I am considering whether I should apply to UBC as OOP as well especially since I am applying in third year. Since it is already hard to get in as third year, I'm guessing being OOP certainly wont help.

So I don't know if i should apply to UBC or to save the money and time and work on applying to other universities

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you guys, wondering whether it's worth it for me to apply. I guess I probably will because I am already putting in the time and money to get the prerequisites done, but the EC categories on the application are worrying me! I think that section of my application might be really unbalanced, because I have a lot more to add to the cultural/community service section than outdoor/sports/travel experiences. I guess I'm not very well rounded :o

Archived