Premed 101 Forums

COMPETITIVE GPA "MD" UdeM

This whole Cote R Universitaire score is all very confusing for those who did not attend CGEP or french institution ...

Q: WHAT IS A COMPETITIVE GPA for MD APPLICANTS at UdeM?

Q: DOES THE SCHOOL LOOK AT YOUR EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES? how

much?

I'm from McGill U. Thank you in advance and I'm sure this info would help out a lot of other students as well.

Cheers

Mas.

It depends on your program and university. I'm from McGill with the same GPA and got an interview this year. My interview went pretty well but I'm waitlisted and the waitlist has not moved for a few weeks. I know that my GPA was very near the cut-off for this year and therefore it's my interview that helped me to be on the waitlist. As the cut-off GPA changes every year, I might not be able to get an interview next year. Getting an interview only depends on your GPA, they ask you about extracurriculars at the interview only. Also, you need to pass the french test (which many people failed in the past) if you did not go to high school in French. You also need to be a Quebec resident but I don't know for how long you have to live in Quebec for being considered Quebec resident.

Also, with that GPA, I did not meet the cut-off for Laval or Sherbrooke. I might be able to get an interview at Laval next year but only because I am a PhD student and get an extra point for that.

It depends on your program and university. I'm from McGill with the same GPA and got an interview this year. My interview went pretty well but I'm waitlisted and the waitlist has not moved for a few weeks. I know that my GPA was very near the cut-off for this year and therefore it's my interview that helped me to be on the waitlist. As the cut-off GPA changes every year, I might not be able to get an interview next year. Getting an interview only depends on your GPA, they ask you about extracurriculars at the interview only. Also, you need to pass the french test (which many people failed in the past) if you did not go to high school in French. You also need to be a Quebec resident but I don't know for how long you have to live in Quebec for being considered Quebec resident.

Also, with that GPA, I did not meet the cut-off for Laval or Sherbrooke. I might be able to get an interview at Laval next year but only because I am a PhD student and get an extra point for that.

Thanks for your response.

I am a Quebec resident and french is no problem, i just have to sharpen it a bit prior to interview.

What is your undergrad GPA that you used to apply to these french meds?

This whole Cote R Universitaire score is all very confusing for those who did not attend CGEP or french institution ...

Q: WHAT IS A COMPETITIVE GPA for MD APPLICANTS at UdeM?

Q: DOES THE SCHOOL LOOK AT YOUR EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES? how

much?

I'm from McGill U. Thank you in advance and I'm sure this info would help out a lot of other students as well.

Cheers

Mas.

Q1. I would strive to keep my GPA above 3.5. I'm not sure what the cutoff is this year but in the past, the mean GPA has hovered around 3.7. In my experience, with 3.7+ u are pretty much guaranteed an interview at UdeM as long as you pass their French test.

Q2. They only look at these during the personal interview; however, they might be eliminating that portion of their interview process next year and may only have mini-multiple interviews (MEM) which might not require any extracurricular info at all.

They did ask me about extracurricular activities in my MEM. You help a friend who doesn't have time to have hobbies and she asks if you have time in addition to studying. Are you very busy during the week and how do you organize your week? Oh yeah, you're busy? Well, what are you doing to be busy? How do you handle stress?

I had to list all my hobbies and volunteer activies I am currently doing although the question was indirect.

They did ask me about extracurricular activities in my MEM. You help a friend who doesn't have time to have hobbies and she asks if you have time in addition to studying. Are you very busy during the week and how do you organize your week? Oh yeah, you're busy? Well, what are you doing to be busy? How do you handle stress?

I had to list all my hobbies and volunteer activies I am currently doing although the question was indirect.

This is what I understand.

To get an interview it's ALL just GPA. Regardless of your research / extracurricular ... GPA ONLY = INTERVIEW CHANCE. Correct?

They only look at your extracurricular during the interview.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived