Premed 101 Forums

The June 13th marks are UP!!!!!!

candiolp

congrats! 26! is great!

All i know is that people get around a 25. (average)

But we all wanna be above average hehe.

Most would say its low and w/e (i always see tons of discouraging comments from every single person if you mention anything under 30+MCAT and 3.7+GPA)...

Realistic is a better term, especially in Canada, where the average MCAT score admitted is ~33Q. Tough love.

You're going to definitely want to rewrite with a 26Q if your goal is to go to medical school in Canada, unless you're from a province with IP advantage and a really high GPA/great ECs. That score will eliminate you from basically any school with moderately strict cutoffs/heavy MCAT weighting (Queens, Western, OOP Dal, Manitoba). Basically the only place I wouldn't recommend a rewrite is IP Sask where they just want a 26N+ and otherwise they don't care.

how do we even know those statistics they put up are even real...

i looked as saskatchewan, outta curiousity...

so they're mean GPA is 3.9-4.0 (pretty much only 2 people got in with 3.7 GPA)...

and the average MCAT of those was 28.34...

So, in other words, pretty much people with the TOP GPAs only got an average of 28.34 on their MCATs... :cool:

i find it wierd.

Anyone on this site could be lying. However, I sincerely doubt the medical schools would lie when they publish their statistics available on their website.

The reason those discrepencies exist is because U of S doesn't care about the MCAT. People who want to go to U of S often don't even study for the MCAT (beyond undergrad work) because the only thing that matters is a score of 26N and greater.

Giving false hope is wrong. A 26Q is not a competitive score, and if the applicant truly desires medicine, they'll need to rewrite. We're just being realistic.

Anyone on this site could be lying. However, I sincerely doubt the medical schools would lie when they publish their statistics available on their website.

The reason those discrepencies exist is because U of S doesn't care about the MCAT. People who want to go to U of S often don't even study for the MCAT (beyond undergrad work) because the only thing that matters is a score of 26N and greater.

Giving false hope is wrong. A 26Q is not a competitive score, and if the applicant truly desires medicine, they'll need to rewrite. We're just being realistic.

they very well could be, there's nothing to verify anything lol..

never said it was competitive, but its a great score......(to improve on!)..

i dont even know what is realistic these days anymore other than a 4.0GPA and a 36+ MCAT

To be honest, in Canada for most places, the MCAT is irrelevent past cutoffs. So the difference between a 45T and a 30Q is not relevent in some cases. For some medical schools that give it more weight, then it begins to become an issue.

The point, however, is you must do sufficiently well to meet cutoffs for the cutoff schools... and if you are interested in schools that look heavily on the MCAT (such as Alberta, Manitoba, Calgary), then you need to do well in order to give you a chance. The issue about overall score of the MCAT is mainly an issue for the schools that look heavily on the MCAT or for the USA.

A 4.0 GPA is definitely not needed to get into medical school. Of course it helps, but the medical school process throughout Canada is so diverse that even with a lower GPA, weighting formulas give you a chance - and some schools, GPA is not important past the cutoffs.

To be honest, in Canada for most places, the MCAT is irrelevent past cutoffs. So the difference between a 45T and a 30Q is not relevent in some cases. For some medical schools that give it more weight, then it begins to become an issue.

The point, however, is you must do sufficiently well to meet cutoffs for the cutoff schools... and if you are interested in schools that look heavily on the MCAT (such as Alberta, Manitoba, Calgary), then you need to do well in order to give you a chance. The issue about overall score of the MCAT is mainly an issue for the schools that look heavily on the MCAT or for the USA.

A 4.0 GPA is definitely not needed to get into medical school. Of course it helps, but the medical school process throughout Canada is so diverse that even with a lower GPA, weighting formulas give you a chance - and some schools, GPA is not important past the cutoffs.

I agree with you, but U of C only considers the MCAT as 6% of the overall application. I wouldn't consider that huge :P

I agree with you, but U of C only considers the MCAT as 6% of the overall application. I wouldn't consider that huge :P

Haha, sorry, I only put U of C because I have heard they have very high cutoffs in certain sections (I believe it was Verbal). :)

I scored a 26R on the june 13th test and am feeling totally depressed, mostly because I was scoring 33-34 on the aamc practice tests, and because I studied my ass off. I don't know what happened because i didn't feel THAT nervous writing it, and it felt hard but i still felt i would have gotten a better score.

I am from british columbia. i know ubc does not weigh the mcat that heavily, so does anyone think I still have a chance there? my gpa is approx 82% and since i am a non-trad, i have tons of work related experience and i'd say slightly above average EC's (backpacking, volunteering overseas 1 year, being a surrogate father for my girlfriends son etc...).

the mcat is proving to be my achilles heel for ever getting into med school.

I only did one AAMC practice test, and I had little to no guidance as to how to study, so I think that if I do a few more tests and refresh the material, I am confident I will do a lot better. Writing the test I was running out of time in the sections (JUST finished both science sections), so I think just a few more practice tests and I will do much better August 15th

Medisforme,

Don't worry too much about the MCAT for UBC. Your average is competitive and I am sure your work experience will help you get to the interview stage. For this upcoming cycle, writing the MCAT in september won't help because:

"Test results from July 2003 to August 2008, inclusive, are considered valid for applicants who submit their application for entrance into the Program in September 2009."

However, it doesn't hurt to write it again while the material is fresh in your mind for future.

MEdisforme, why don't you try to get into an August test date? I'm sure with the material fresh and some more practice you will do better the second time around.

I scored a 26R on the june 13th test and am feeling totally depressed, mostly because I was scoring 33-34 on the aamc practice tests, and because I studied my ass off. I don't know what happened because i didn't feel THAT nervous writing it, and it felt hard but i still felt i would have gotten a better score.

I am from british columbia. i know ubc does not weigh the mcat that heavily, so does anyone think I still have a chance there? my gpa is approx 82% and since i am a non-trad, i have tons of work related experience and i'd say slightly above average EC's (backpacking, volunteering overseas 1 year, being a surrogate father for my girlfriends son etc...).

the mcat is proving to be my achilles heel for ever getting into med school.

I only did one AAMC practice test, and I had little to no guidance as to how to study, so I think that if I do a few more tests and refresh the material, I am confident I will do a lot better. Writing the test I was running out of time in the sections (JUST finished both science sections), so I think just a few more practice tests and I will ROCK IT on August 15th!!!

In that case, get the set of practice tests the aamc has available, and do them, timed as if it's the real thing. this sort of thing helped me a lot, and I think you'll do much better if you get a feel for it by doing practice tests. good luck on the 15th

In that case, get the set of practice tests the aamc has available, and do them, timed as if it's the real thing. this sort of thing helped me a lot, and I think you'll do much better if you get a feel for it by doing practice tests. good luck on the 15th

Thanks for the encouragement!! I just bought a couple practice tests from AAMC, and I have some Kaplan books with tests that I never had a chance to look at last time. I have 2 weeks off work before the exam so during that time I will do practice tests. Right now I am trying to refresh the material.

Archived